510/520 table connector tube length

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WorkinClass
Gold Member

Re: 510/520 table connector tube length

Post by WorkinClass »

Marc,

I have already upgraded my bench tubes to the 1 3/4" ground steel rods offered by MetalsDepot. When I upgraded to a Double Tilt configuration this past summer I had to replace the 1 7/8" tube that I had so went with the solid steel tubes. Love the difference it makes in the overall stability they add.

Steve[/quote]

That's good to know Steve... My tubes are great shape and don't need replaced, but just for overall rigidity, I'm leaning that way. 1 3/4" solid would def be an improvement over hollow tubes. I don't think they sell 1 7/8" 1045tgp, maybe 4140 but it will rust easier, 2" might be overkill and quite a bit heavier. Another option is straight chrome rod (which is essentially 1045 chromed and ground). My cost is still a fraction of what MD charges, they must mark-up 100-150%, which is insane... I don't see a downfall to being spaced -out- the extra 1/16", but quite the contrary with a wider center of gravity, unless you have attachments as JPG stated that mate to the bench tubes (which I don't yet), but then you do have to deal with smaller diameter.
Now, I could easily fab some 1/8" wall split sleeves that fit over the ends of the tubes and maintain the same center-to-center distance if anyone is interested, but I won't bother for mine.
Marc
Phoenix, Az.
Mark V "Greenie" SN 264779 with Magna Eng jointer SN 14512
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'split wall' sleeves would need to be 1/16" thick.

Realize he also had upgraded to the dual tilt which made the 1 7/8" discussion moot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
WorkinClass
Gold Member

Post by WorkinClass »

Yeah, you're right. 1/16" wall... I was obviously thinking diametrically. I wasn't aware you couldn't fit 1 7/8 in the dual tilt system. But then again, I have the ability to bore those kinda things out to fit my needs, so, kinda insignificant to me. My bad.
Marc
Phoenix, Az.
Mark V "Greenie" SN 264779 with Magna Eng jointer SN 14512