trying to find chuck for lathe

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

No name
Gold Member

trying to find chuck for lathe

Post by No name »

I have ran across 3 so far the nova chuck in a earlier post ,the oneway talon,and the barracuda. As many problems the other gentleman had with the nova i really dont believe i want to put much faith in that even though i know nova is a good product. so which would it be. The barracuda chuck takes an adapter to work which at 16.95 sounds like a pretty good deal the chuck itself is 79.95 with 1 set of jaws a jumbo set is 24.95. You can also purchase a 3 step jaw package for about the cost of the chuck. And last is the oneway it already has an adapter and set of 3 step jaws for194.33 .So if anyone can help me as far as the quailty, if already own any of these items.Also if you know of any other chuck and jaw systems on the market .Thanks
deanthom
Gold Member

Be vewy, vewy caweful!

Post by deanthom »

Wish I had an Elmer smilie...

NoName, there are a number of chucks on the market, most of which have direct adapters for the Shopsmith's 5/8" plain spindle. You've found a couple.

Nova is a good chuck with good customer service, as shown by their instant willingness to replace it. I'm sure that was an influencing factor in Shopsmith's dealing with them. Ed got a bummer. It's the first one I've ever heard of in about 20 years of turning. And I have known a fair number of turners!

The Oneway products are also very good. I own a Talon and have never had anything but high praise for it. The only problem with the Oneway chucks is that more than a few Shopsmith owners have bought the larger, more expensive, heavier, Stronghold chuck. It's a great chuck, but it's total overkill for the Shopsmith. Oneway is very explicit in that the Talon is for lathes with a swing of up to 16". While our Shopsmiths can technically handle a 16" piece (16.5, actually), that's not really practical unless it's absolutely perfectly balanced from the git go. With a speed reducer, you can go that large safely, but again from a practicality standpoint, I'd question it. Of course, I saw a jaw-dropper of a video showing Nick Cook turning a 300 pound chunk of log between the centers of two Powermatic 24" swing lathes. Amazing.

Other swell products are from Vicmarc, the Precision chuck sold out of Britain by Craft Supply over there, and Axminster.

If the Pinnacle chuck is at all related to the PSI's Barracuda, be wary. I've known several SS-turners who bought the PSI chuck with a full complement of jaws and an adapter to their Mark V machines only to be disappointed either sooner or later. One guy told the tale of having to return it to PSI 4 times (!!!!) before he finally got one that was right. More than a few folks have talked about having to do this little swap game. PSI is good about it, paying the postage both ways and all that, but it can take a month or more from order to finally getting one whose jaws all close together and don't fall out of the chuck! If the Pinnacle is really the old Nova in disguise, that could be a good thing, but Woodcraft's Pinnacle chisels are all Chinese.

The ole Caveat Emptor is strongly suggested here. While you don't always get what you pay for, you almost always get what you DON'T pay for. What did they say about free lunches? Works the same for cheap chucks, IMO. YMMV, of course.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have been using the Nova for years, I originally purchased it from Shopsmith and have purchased many accessories from Woodcrafter. I wanted to upgrade to the Supernova2 over the holidays and have not had a chance, all the accessories work and for me that is very important. There are some great package deals on eBay for the chuck with many combinations of the 6 different jaw sets and if you email the guy he will post any combination you want at a discount. The Shopsmith adapter is included, but since I have one he offered to include a jaw set I don't have instead.

I like the Supernova2 because it can be worked with one hand where the Nova takes 2. Nova service is excellent and they respond very quickly to email on usage. I was trying to chuck something smaller then then min 3/8" the smallest jaws can hold and I was given advice on using the Chuck with no jaws and it has worked well. I have also used it on large bowls and been able to clean up the bottom with their cole jaws.
No name
Gold Member

ss chucks

Post by No name »

Thanks DeanThom, the barracuda is psi after looking a little closer.So you have the oneway and are very happy with it? more than one persons have told me that oneway is a very good chuck for the money in other forums.I have looked at the nova chucks online you mentioned a couple of others that i will also be sure to look at.And as far as you get what you pay for you couldnt be more correct. Even though i havent be woodworking for that long i know that buying quality tools is paramount! if i cant afford a tool at the time i will save my money to get what i want even though it may halter me a bit.And lastly it is people like you and many others on this forum who give my eternal grattitude to there hasnt been a question that someone hasnt helped me with!thanks