chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Bravo.....that's a classy idea, Nick.

Doc
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

As an addon to Nick's reply regarding craftmanship, if you ever get the opportunity to visit Colonial Willamsburg, do so. Stop in at the cabinetmaker's shop and watch them at work using nothing but 18th century tools (the biggest piece of equipment is a hand powered lathe). Go to the Gov. Palace and look at the furniture and wall panels (many of which were made in the cabinet maker's shop).

Remember an old toolmaker's adage. A good toolmaker can make good parts on a piece of junk equipment, but a poor toolmaker can't always make good parts on a good piece of equipment. Experience counts.

Dick
province
Silver Member

Post by province »

jbillups, I've just called 911 and they're sending this your way....

[ATTACH]1749[/ATTACH]
Attachments
219642031e0786fca13422ddacfe9cd346804a9d332587[1].jpg
219642031e0786fca13422ddacfe9cd346804a9d332587[1].jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 10866 times
jbillups
Gold Member

Post by jbillups »

providence, lol.. nice. I like.

Nick I'm good with that, thats a pretty awsome idea. Maybe I you could send me a photo of you and the winner with the SS? ;)

How should I pack it? Build crates or just box it up the best I can in cardboard?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Wouldn't it be neat if someone from theis forum were traveling to Dayton and could transport this needy tool toward a new and better life.
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Nick- great idea! For those of us who want to help but have more $$ than time, would you consider setting up a system where we could send monetary donations to help with the prizes? Maybe even an official SS order number where we could, say, add a $5 donation (or whatever) to the Young Woodworkers Society when we place an order? Thanks!

Gary
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

J.B. - Here's a link on how to pack up a mark V. I built a frame from 2X2s and covered it with 1/4" plywood. It worked good!
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... ipping.pdf
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
barbandrob
Gold Member

Post by barbandrob »

You know, I am sitting here with my mouth agape (it's not a pretty sight). I'm actually a little teary-eyed. I can't believe how much this thread has turned around. What a spectacular idea, Nick. I am 41, so no kid, but still brand new to the hobby. Wish I could play, but failing that, I would be glad to make a small donation toward the effort.

You guys rock.
Barb B.
Washington, DC
1989 Mark V 510/520 upgrade with ALL (and I do mean ALL) the fixin's!!
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

greitz wrote:Nick- great idea! For those of us who want to help but have more $$ than time, would you consider setting up a system where we could send monetary donations to help with the prizes? Maybe even an official SS order number where we could, say, add a $5 donation (or whatever) to the Young Woodworkers Society when we place an order? Thanks!

Gary
How about just buying a SS gift card and tell them you want it donated to this cause?
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Good idea, Alan! Now all we need is for Nick to set this up with customer service. But it'll probably be a while- I think Nick's going to have his hands full teaching for the next couple of weeks, along with everything else he's doing.

Gary