The First Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jdonovan
Gold Member

The First Shopsmith

Post by jdonovan »

Has there ever been a discussion about the very early Shopsmiths and if they are still around ? What about the first Mark V or Dr. Hans Goldschmidts machine ?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: The First Shopsmith

Post by jsburger »

jdonovan wrote:Has there ever been a discussion about the very early Shopsmiths and if they are still around ? What about the first Mark V or Dr. Hans Goldschmidts machine ?

There have been many many many discussions. The first SS was the model 10E which was later updated to the 10ER. Just do a search on that and you will find a large amount of information.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

jsburger wrote:
jdonovan wrote:Has there ever been a discussion about the very early Shopsmiths and if they are still around ? What about the first Mark V or Dr. Hans Goldschmidts machine ?

There have been many many many discussions. The first SS was the model 10E which was later updated to the 10ER. Just do a search on that and you will find a large amount of information.
I think the OP was asking about if the first 10er or first Mark V is still in existence..... #00001?
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
jsburger wrote:

I think the OP was asking about if the first 10er or first Mark V is still in existence..... #00001?
Yes, that's what I was referring too. Sorry for the confusion...Joe
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jdonovan wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Yes, that's what I was referring too. Sorry for the confusion...Joe
OK, here is something. As most know Bob and Frank Chambers financed Hans Goldschmidt from the beginning. The Chambers were born in Salt Lake City, UT and lived in Magna, UT about 20 miles west of Salt Lake. Doug Reid, A long time employee of SS who did the old traveling academies out here knew Bob Chambers personally. He is currently an independent contractor selling SS equipment with some discounts. He also currently does the SS webinars. He told me during one of the webinars that he asked Bob about the name Magna Engineering and Bob said it was named for Magna, UT.

Bob gave Doug his personal MK V because nobody in his family wanted it. I doubt it was the first MK V but one would think it might be a very early one since Bob was Magna Engineering. Magna was the first company he started.

Here is the picture Doug sent me. Bob Chambers is on the left and Doug is on the right. That is Bob's personal MK V in the foreground.

Also is attached is his obituary from the Deseret News in Salt Lake.

This is a link to his obituary in the Salt Lake Tribune.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltla ... d=96927186

Notice in the first paragraph the mention of SS. Further down it says he started Magna Engineering with his brother Frank in 1947 using a design from Hans Goldschmidt named the Shopsmith.
Attachments
Bob Chambers.jpeg
Bob Chambers.jpeg (311.61 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
Bob Chambers Obituary0001.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 714 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Based on this article http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/appendix_22.htm, and a few others, it would seem that Dr. Goldschmidt made:
- one one half sized model (proof of concept)
- one full size prototype, I think it is pictured in the 10E Preliminary Owners Manual, as the headstock casting has some differences from the production 10E.

Try asking on the Yahoo 10erusers forum, Skip Campbell is probably the person most likely to know.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

I was searching the internet and came across a picture of Bob Chambers with a chromed 10ER, which I thought was interesting. Used with permission. ( http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ssmodels.htm )
Attachments
chambers10er_f.jpg
chambers10er_f.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 11790 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jdonovan wrote:I was searching the internet and came across a picture of Bob Chambers with a chromed 10ER, which I thought was interesting. Used with permission. ( http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ssmodels.htm )

I call that a 10E. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I was browsing through the photos on the yahoo Shopsmith10ERusers group and ran across these photos.
docg.JPG
docg.JPG (249.44 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
This one looks like it was welded up from plate steel. Interesting table raiser.
ShopSmith+first+working+model.jpg
ShopSmith+first+working+model.jpg (161.79 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I don't know where 10E 0001 is, but I know where 10E 0002 was in 1947.

There is photo attached of 0002 when it was in the MAGNA Factory in San Francisco where it and many others were diverted to manufacture other gear. The operator using it is drilling holes for drive pins in the upper chuck assembly of the Shopsmith Jigsaw, sometime after unit 0002 was removed from a demonstrator model and brought to the plant. Photo was taken just as jigsaw production began.

Another photo shows an extended dual headed 10E, which is used for reaming holes for bracket pins in the 10E table tie bar, and another photo of a bank of others in drill press mode with a full belt shield made for the factory.

I know where 1947 10E 1414 is today however. It is my oldest of my 5 10E and 10ER's, and according to Skip likely the oldest known unit in North America, perhaps the world.

The Australian company later licensed to produce their 10ER's restarted their numbering at 1000 on their badges, so those Australian units are from a later date, when 10E's were already well out of production.

Everett
2nd Shopsmith Made reduced size for forum.png
2nd Shopsmith Made reduced size for forum.png (880.77 KiB) Viewed 11701 times
Extended Dual 10E  Headstock machine at MAGNA.png
Extended Dual 10E Headstock machine at MAGNA.png (111.39 KiB) Viewed 11701 times
Early Shopsmiths at MAGNA.png
Early Shopsmiths at MAGNA.png (161.54 KiB) Viewed 11701 times
Everetts 1947 10E  sn 1414.jpg
Everetts 1947 10E sn 1414.jpg (445.79 KiB) Viewed 11701 times