Anybody else attending Owner's Weekend?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I tentatively plan to attend Friday and Saturdays clinics (if I can find a working vehicle) and was wondering who else will be there. I just got my father-in-law’s Mark V running good. Still have to do the lube thing. As I am a newbie when it comes to the ShopSmith I would like to meet some seasoned veterans.

Ron
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I'll be attending. In fact, I'm thinking of attending all three days. As long as the seminars are interesting.

With all good wishes,
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

I'm planning on being there Sat or Sun.

Any truth to the rumors of the optional contests, such as the "Nick tool dropping contest"?
Contestants are given 5 hand tools, you have to carry them from one table to another. The one who goes the longest without dropping one wins.

Or "Musical extension cords".
6 contestants 6 power cords, one of which doesn't work.
When the music stops, everyone grabs an extention cord and plugs in their drill.
The one whose drill doesn't work is out.
On of the working cords is eliminated and the music starts again.
;)
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I know my last post was facetious, but Ron's inquiry would really help us as well as Ron. I was grilled by Marketing last week as to how many people to expect, and my only response was a big shrug.

To give you a little more info to help make a go/no-go decision, here' what we're planning:

Dates: July 18, 19, & 20 (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday)
Times : 9:00 am to 5::00 pm Friday and Saturday, 11:00 am to 5:00 pm Sunday.
Seminars: Four 1-hour (approx.) presentations on Friday, four more on Saturday. two on Sunday, total of ten.
Tool Swap: During open hours. Space will be made available inside, but this is one of those things where we neeed a head count to be better prepared.
Factory Tours: Saturday and Sunday, as requested. Please note the plant is closed down on these days so the lines won't be up and running.
Purchases: Owing to the fact that the store is closed and that many large items are built when ordered, don't plan to be able to purchase Shopsmith items and take them with you. We will take orders if you try a tool and decide to buy, but it most likely will be shipped.
Other Stuff: As much as we'd like to organize a picnic, pub crawl, or invasion of Indiana, once again we need a head count to see what might be practical.
Elsewhere in Dayton the Weekend: United States Air Force Museum, Wright Brothers National Historic Park, Packard Automobile Museum, Dayton Art Institute, Dayton Air Show. See http://www.activedayton.com/ and http://www.daytondailynews.com/e/conten ... rtainment/

Addendum, answering the questions from other posts:
Do we just show up at the factory on Friday morning for the weekend sessions?
Yes -- there is no registration. Follow the "Owner's Weekend" signs to the parking lot on the southeast side of the building (what used to be the parking lot for the store).

Anyone to ask for when we get there?
Enter at the doors that say, "Welcome Shopsmith Owners!" -- the same doors that used to be the doors to the store. I'll be wearing a red carnation and carrying a copy of "Moby Dick."

Any problem in parking at the factory?
None at all. Those of you with motor homes are welcome to set up and stay in the parking lot, although we have no facilities available.

Any prior sign-up(s) needed for the weekend or for any of the weekend seminars?
No, not this year. If this weekend is a success and we decide to do it again next year, we may change that. For now, it's not a worry.

Any place close to factory for breakfast, lunch or dinner that you would recommend?
Right across I-75, about two minutes drive is "Miller's Lane" -- a whole road devoted to restaurants and motels. You have plenty of choices there, including Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel.

Will Shopsmith be offering any special sales that weekend?
Yet to be determined -- will depend on anticipated number of visitors. See this space in three days.

What days and times will the swap meets be conducted?
All three days, as long as there's someone around with a tool to sell.

What can we do or see if not at one of the day seminars?
Test drive tools, tour factory, buy stuff, swap woodworking lies, ask maintenance questions, complain about Chinese manufacturers, learn to juggle, make up insulting name tags, all sorts of stuff. See links above.

Who else will be there?
So far we have about 30 responses to the e-mail we sent out this weekend, plus 15 who said they will be coming on this forum. I haven't yet checked the names to see if there is any crossover, but that puts the headcount beteen 30 and 45.

With all good wishes,
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Nick wrote:I'll be attending. In fact, I'm thinking of attending all three days. As long as the seminars are interesting.

With all good wishes,
For Nick:
Since you will be attending, can you help us with some information:

Do we just show up at the factory on Friday morning for the weekend sessions? [Answered in Post #4.]
Anyone to ask for when we get there? [Answered in Post #4.]
Any problem in parking at the factory? [Answered in Post #4.]
Any prior sign-up(s) needed for the weekend or for any of the weekend seminars? [Answered in Post #4.]
Any place close to factory for breakfast, lunch or dinner that you would recommend? [Answered in Post #4.]
Will Shopsmith be offering any special sales that weekend? [Answered in Post #4.]
What days and times will the swap meets be conducted? [Answered in Post #4.]
What can we do or see if not at one of the day seminars? [Answered in Post #4.]
Thanks.

There will be at least 3 of us from central Florida there for all 3 days.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

My plan:

Friday: Hopefully
Saturday: Certainly
Sunday: Probably not
Tool Swap: Nothing to sell
Saturday Factory Tour: I'm in, but won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
Other Stuff: I'm definitely in!
If I stay overnight I will stay at Wright Patterson AFB.

Ron
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

I will most likely have a long day-trip from Indianapolis. Not yet sure which day, but one day only is allowed.

I may have smaller things to buy at a "swap," but nothing really to sell.

Thanks!
Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Nick;
I am one of the three from central Florida and will be attending with Bill Mayo all three days.
Bill V
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Okay, that's five of us. At this point the seminar presenters outnumber the attendees.

With all good wishes,
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Nick!

My brother and I will be there on Saturday.

What time will things start? [Answered in Post #4.]

For all coming from out of town the air force museum is a must see. The old air force one planes are there. The plane that carried Kennedy from Dallas is on display. Stealth bombers, space craft. & all indoors. The place is huge. Best of all it's FREE!!!