Greetings & pre-purchase question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Geo
Bronze Member

Greetings & pre-purchase question

Post by Geo »

Greetings from the DFW area.
For years I enjoyed doing woodworking as a hobby, but 3-years ago, after not touching my equipment for a long while, I gave all my tools to family members. Now I find myself missing it, and in need of equipment to do repairs & remodel a house I'm purchasing, The house has precious-little garage space, so purchasing individual equipment is not an option. I'm considering a ShopSmith because a long-deceased friend of mine had one and really enjoyed it, plus the big advantage it has over individual equipment regarding space required.

Before I purchase a ShopSmith, I'd like to find out if any of you find that it is a problem not being able to take your ShopSmith to the work site... i.e. The second story of a house.

Thanks for any feedback.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Greetings & pre-purchase question

Post by JPG »

And WHAT prevents that escalation? One does not have to carry it up in all one piece.

If you are considering a 'new' purchase, perhaps two used ones would be a better choice until the second story job is finished. Many here have multiple SS and some are modified(dedicated wall mount/shortened(mini/shorty) . . .).

FWIW they are quite easily disassembled and reassembled. That will require realignment likely, but that is not terribly difficult. There would likely be a 'learning curve' though.

Oh and WELCOME!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I would have no problem taking my SS MK V/5/7 up or down a floor if needed by breaking it down. The PP headstock is heavier than the others but still possible. I am not sure if I would try to take a 10E/R. If you are used to individual equipment, you will have a learning curve to get used to the SS. Not difficult but can cause multiple change overs if you do not plan ahead. Take your time and get to know your SS operations, alignments, change overs and how to plan your work flow to minimize the number of times you need to change over before starting a major project that is time sensitive. FWIW, most of the remodel work I have seen done (neighbors hired contractors), the material is cut outside then carried into the house to limit the amount of sawdust in the house and to minimize the number of large pieces to be carried up or down stairs and around tight corners.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

They can be moved to the worksite. I have actually disassembled a mark v and put it in the back of my Honda civic. Although I don't recommend doing it daily as realignment daily would be very repetitive.

But, I would say I would rather work outside and carry in, than clean up after.
-Beave
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

In many cases, you won't need to disassemble the machine. A Shopsmith can be easily carried in a pickup bed, or in the back of a minivan. We've carried ours up and down stairs fully assembled (takes two people, of course.)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Upstairs or down like this

First set it on some saw horses this way
DSC00712.JPG
DSC00712.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 23233 times
Roll it over on it's back
Then remove the legs
DSC00713.JPG
DSC00713.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 23233 times
Then have a friend help carrying up or down as many floors as you like

Bill V
Geo
Bronze Member

Post by Geo »

WOW! Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. I'm blessed with an incredible wife who thinks nothing of cleaning up sawdust!

I wouldn't have considered disassembling the SS, and reassembling. It must be easier than I thought. Maybe I'll try doing my cuts in the garage and taking cut wood upstairs. I remember in the past, there would be several times when I would cut it long, and need to just remove a skosh more. Maybe I just need to learn to measure more-accurately. :)

Thanks again, and I'll be in touch.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

If it is only a skosh more, try sand paper or a shooting board. Here is a plan for a miter shooting board but you can also make one for any angle you need. http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking ... ing-board/ Smaller and easier to move around with you and creates less mess.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Geo
Bronze Member

Post by Geo »

Thanks for the idea, Brenda. I'll make one... Much easier than taking my SS upstairs! :>)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

If that doest work out for ya you could all ways just grab some thing like this and set it up close to your work area.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x- ... 97181.html
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)