Today in the Shop "Building a steam box"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the Shop "Building a steam box"

Post by thunderbirdbat »

How about using a metal duct for a liner in a wood box? It would allow for a tighter seal and having the wood around it would insulate the duct and prevent you from burning yourself on it.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Rectangular duct with an insulating shroud.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Congrats. If it didn't work this time, I was going to suggest you needed a new thermometer -- one that read in wood species.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

That's funny and clever, algale. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That may require some explaining! :D

Maybe too clever! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Ed the one I used in the boatyard was I think 8" pvc. It looked like it had been in use for quite a few years and although pretty dirty worked well. We were steaming Teak and it definitely did the job. The advantage of the pvc is that you could size it to the job. For the thin strips you could use 2" or 3" pvc which would be cheap and probably be quicker due to less space to heat.
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've done some more reading and it was mentioned kiln-dry wood is not very good for this process. And of course that is what I've been using...... oh well.

I've also noted that soaking wood for while helps, some said at least over night others mentioned days, but I'd think thin wood like I'm using it should take too long.

The videos I posted on saw dust were the parts I've made for the next round of twisting and perhaps getting to the actually project. I still need to make a jig to hold the twisted pieces which might happen tomorrow if the weather is good for it.

At any rate the oak is soaking:
20170820_191634_resized.jpg
20170820_191634_resized.jpg (553.1 KiB) Viewed 12311 times
I'll let you know how this all turns out.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

It cant hurt, how long do you think it will take to dry,,Small pieces can be slowly dried in a microwave or oven, those look pretty long for that.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Hobbyman2 wrote: how long do you think it will take to dry,,Small pieces can be slowly dried in a microwave or oven, those look pretty long for that.
When we did the boat rails years ago we let it dry in place on the boat so it was a perfect fit with no stress.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

All the pieces are bent and now I have to let them dry for a week or two.... or longer. They will be painted so we will have to see how that goes.

Soaking might have been a help but not a lot and it added time to the process. I can't say they did any better or did it faster or anything but maybe that is due to the nature of what I was doing.

Well here is the picture showing it happened, so maybe this will be it for this thread. We have gone beyond the build into testing and how it to producing parts...... I think that is far enough for one thread.
20170823_182843_resized.jpg
20170823_182843_resized.jpg (554.9 KiB) Viewed 12262 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]