New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by dusty »

OKAY, I yield. I'll go to my corner and be quiet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Ordered mine Friday, received it today, standard shipping. Time to play!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

So... I went ahead with the Match Fit jig. I may get the SS version if they have a holiday special again (free shipping, etc.).
I hope to use the dovetail jigs for other applications. My local Woodcraft Store carries the jig and clamps.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Capture Shopsmith Cross-Cutter.JPG
Capture Shopsmith Cross-Cutter.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
OKAY...I have had time and occasion to utilize my Shopsmith Cross-Cutter and I like it. It does everything that Shopsmith claims and everything that I expected. The MicroJig Match Fit may do the same but that is true of many woodworking jigs. There is more than one way to "do the job".

I do have one recommendation for anyone who is attempting to use either of these for really critical cut locations. Use the "table tubes" to tie the main table to one of the extension tables. Any movement at all can effect the accuracy of your cut. Using both front and rear table tubes truly stabilizes the main table.

Width of a dado cut using the Cross-Cutter is NOT an issue. Once it is set for a specific width it does the job. However, any time you move the carriage or the carriage moves unexpectedly the location of the blade with respect to the miter track is in question. The same goes for the headstock but I seldom fail to lock the headstock. The carriage is another issue.

I also find that using the table saw with the table height way down and locked yields a more stable table. This exposes more blade than many recommend but I do that most of the time. Be aware that 3" of exposed blade is more hazardous than only a 1/4" of blade exposed above the work piece.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

Considering today is the last day for the free shipping; I have read and reread and read this thread again and again.

I also looked at the many micro jig Dado Stop Youtube video's. I like the easy setup of the micro jig. I also like the metal construction of the SS crosscutter.

I do not understand how the cross cutter works but that's me.

I will decide at the last minute knowing me.

Done: 556466 and 556441
MDeBonis
Bronze Member

Post by MDeBonis »

Can someone tell me how the cross cutter mounts to the Shopsmith? Does it mount on the fence, rails, or table? I have a 510 and updated the fence and rails to the 520 system, so I don’t know which model of the cross cutter to order, the one for a 510, or for a 520? I called SS but the sales rep wasn’t totally sure. TIA.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

MDeBonis wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:01 am Can someone tell me how the cross cutter mounts to the Shopsmith? Does it mount on the fence, rails, or table? I have a 510 and updated the fence and rails to the 520 system, so I don’t know which model of the cross cutter to order, the one for a 510, or for a 520? I called SS but the sales rep wasn’t totally sure. TIA.
From the pictures, the 520 version mounts to the face of the rip fence utilizing the T-Slot via a special T-Bolt (with pins). Since you have upgraded to 520 that is the version for you. From pictures in this thread it seems the 500/510 version mounts via holes in the fence.

- David
MDeBonis
Bronze Member

Post by MDeBonis »

great, thank you for the reply. This is what I thought, but no one could confirm.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

MDeBonis,

Something to keep in mind, the Shopsmith Mark V models 500, 505, 510 & 520 are determined by the Table/Fence System it has. It doesn't matter which model it started out as, you should get accessories for the upgraded model it is now. Some may be the same but others are not. Models 500, 505 and 510 share the same accessories while the 520's are different and the 500 has different accessories than ones the 505,510 and 520 share.

The Mark 7, Mark 4 and the new Mark V 520S generally share the same accessories as the Mark V 520 having the same Table/Pro Fence system but with the Double Tilt Bench Ends. The difference here being the Table posts have the riser teeth on both sides of the posts with the Double Tilt Feature.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.