New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

delong94
Gold Member

New Product

Post by delong94 »

Anyone have any comments on the new Cross-cutter?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV082.htm
DeLong94

Mark V 500, DC3000, Magna Jigsaw, Planer, Magna Jointer, Band Saw, Stand Alone Scroll Saw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Air System, Powerstation, SawSmith RAS, and ShopSmith Overam Router
"Measure twice, cut once"
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by jsburger »

delong94 wrote:Anyone have any comments on the new Cross-cutter?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV082.htm
It looks like the Microgig Matchfit. $15 more but all metal so that is the difference.

http://www.microjig.com/products/dado-stop/

http://www.microjig.com/product/matchfit-dado-stop/

I have the Microjig Matchfit and it works extremely well. The SS jig has micro adjustment that the Microjig does not. Looks to me to be a great new item.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

This looks like something most of us could build a functioning version of in an hour or two. You'd need a Shopsmith t-nut, a piece of scrap wood, a couple of threaded inserts, a couple of bolts, a couple of knobs, and maybe a few jam nuts. I must be missing something.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I agree with you Al. Block of wood clamped to the fence does the same job. You can add two t-nuts, two bolts and two wing nuts and have a micro adjuster if you need them. But for $40 it looks cool !
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Funny how opinions differ so. My first thought was similar to Paul's comment but then I changed my thinking.

Neat application of principles in a compact easy to use tool. Yes, it would be easy to cobble something together that would do the same thing. I even have the parts that would be required but for $40 I ordered one.

I had my oldest daughter in the shop with me this week. We were doing a lot of cross cutting and I clamped a piece of wood to the fence. She asked what that was for since it disengages before the cut even starts. When I explained why it was there her response was surprising and timely for this ad.

"With all the built in functionality of your Shopsmith it seems like that would be a resident feature".

Well, this is not built in but it is the next best thing.

I do have some doubts about the usefulness for dadoes. Most of my dadoes are not that close to the end of a board for it to be used. We'll see.

I ordered one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I did some pondering of this new tool last night. It occurred to me that you are right Dusty. Making one that had the micro adjuster that fine ( 1/128") would be difficult. Doable but for $40'not worth the effort. Inadvertently SS has also possibly solved a bigger issue. This tool could also be put on the opposite side of the fence and combined with a block attached to the table become a micro adjuster for the fence. That is another item that is sorely needed for the SS fence systems. I ordered one.
Paul
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

masonsailor2 wrote:I did some pondering of this new tool last night. It occurred to me that you are right Dusty. Making one that had the micro adjuster that fine ( 1/128") would be difficult. Doable but for $40'not worth the effort. Inadvertently SS has also possibly solved a bigger issue. This tool could also be put on the opposite side of the fence and combined with a block attached to the table become a micro adjuster for the fence. That is another item that is sorely needed for the SS fence systems. I ordered one.
Paul

+1..

And I may add to Dusty, good to see you are making sawdust!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:I did some pondering of this new tool last night. It occurred to me that you are right Dusty. Making one that had the micro adjuster that fine ( 1/128") would be difficult. Doable but for $40'not worth the effort. Inadvertently SS has also possibly solved a bigger issue. This tool could also be put on the opposite side of the fence and combined with a block attached to the table become a micro adjuster for the fence. That is another item that is sorely needed for the SS fence systems. I ordered one.
Paul

+1..

And I may add to Dusty, good to see you are making sawdust!
Thank you so much. I want to tell you, I have been making sawdust like never before. No MDF but a lot of saw dust. I have gotten back into the RV to finish rebuilding the interior. I didn't realize that 1/4" and 3/8" plywood could produce so much saw dust.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Sure would like to view a Dave Folkerth demonstration video on this new tool. Watching Dave is like having him in your shop talking to you one on one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Paul
All that requires is a 32 pitch screw(10-32 anyone). ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange