New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by dusty »

mountainbreeze wrote:Try it, you'll like it.
Yes, I do like it. I liked it before with my own form of compensation but I like it even more using your method.

In essence, I was using the wrong reference surface. By referencing off of the end of the "cutoff scrap" that is clamped to the miter gauge you are referencing off of the far side of the blade. The rest of the procedure uses the other side of the blade thus taking into consideration the thickness of the blade.

Very subtle (until one understands). Once that happens, it is obvious. Why didn't I think of that.

Now I have to go back and much more carefully read the Shopsmith instructions.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

mountainbreeze wrote:This method does indeed take the kerf into account. Try it, you'll like it.
It sounds like a great process to me, and has probably persuaded me to buy the jig (although I like Dusty's method also). But I did stumble when reading your initial description. The light bulb finally went on when I realized that you placed the miter gauge in the slot on the opposite side of the blade from the fence, to establish the position of the far side of the kerf.

This is one of those things where an illustration, or better yet a video, would be a big help.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I made mine in a couple of hours from stuff I already had.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Draw it out Dusty. It indeed compensates for the kerf.

The non-obvious 'detail' is that the 'long' screw adjusts to the 'close' side of the blade whereas the cut off 'scrap' piece references the 'far' side of the blade.

When the 'short' screw is adjusted to the 'piece to be inserted in the dado'(the reference is the cutoff end = farside of kerf), the difference in the lengths of the screws is the width of 'the piece to be inserted in the dado' less the kerf width.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Mine finally arrived after 15 days in transit.

Any reason to not drill and tap a hole to store the third screw? I was thinking vertically.

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would say, NO, there is no reason to not drill and tap the third hole BUT why?

Doing so yields no functionality that you don't already have. Read the instructions from Shopsmith and then read and reread this thread while playing with your new toy (I mean new tool) and I think you will find that it does everything that has been claimed without a third hole.

Pay particular attention to the instructions provided here by mountainbreeze. Those instructions resolved all of my issues.

A Word of Advise which has absolutely nothing to do with the Cross-Cutter. I work with far more blade exposed above the table than is recommended. I do so for all of my own reasons, While playing with this new toy I strongly recommend that you do so with no more blade exposed than is necessary.

You can guess why!!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I would say, NO, there is no reason to not drill and tap the third hole BUT why?

Doing so yields no functionality that you don't already have. Read the instructions from Shopsmith and then read and reread this thread while playing with your new toy (I mean new tool) and I think you will find that it does everything that has been claimed without a third hole.

Pay particular attention to the instructions provided here by mountainbreeze. Those instructions resolved all of my issues.

A Word of Advise which has absolutely nothing to do with the Cross-Cutter. I work with far more blade exposed above the table than is recommended. I do so for all of my own reasons, While playing with this new toy I strongly recommend that you do so with no more blade exposed than is necessary.

You can guess why!!
I don't think his question was about functionality, it was about how to store the extra screw. If that is the case then go for it.

I don't ever adjust the blade height for the cut. The SS system makes that something you don't want to do unless you really have to. Having said that, I don't change the blade height on my Powermatic PM2000. It pretty much stays full up unless I an doing dados or something that requires a different height.

I think your reason is better dust collection. If you have a Shark Guard it probably does not make much difference.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Yes, just for storing the third screw. Otherwise, I'll store it in a nice, safe place and never find it again.

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Mike907 wrote:Yes, just for storing the third screw. Otherwise, I'll store it in a nice, safe place and never find it again.

Mike
Sorry! I did not read the post that way. The solution then is simple. Just buy three extra screws and store them each in different places. ;) Then, whenever you happen to come upon one of them put it where it belongs. :)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Why not 'store' it where it is 'used'. The Microjig does not require the 'third surface' to be 'moved'. Albeit it is not 'adjustable' either.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange