New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by masonsailor2 »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant to say I ordered the 520 fence upgrade and the double tilt base from Lowes. I ordered the cross cut double stop from the mother ship.
Paul
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Just curious, does the instructions that come with this jig describe how it is used to:

- Cut out imperfections in a snap
- Cut multiple pieces to two different lengths
- True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The cutting multiple pieces to specific lengths I get. That one is pretty obvious but the other two I am not even sure what they are referring to.
Paul
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Ok, yes, cut multiple pieces to two different lengths I get (as long as the lengths are not too different :) )
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mountainbreeze wrote:Just curious, does the instructions that come with this jig describe how it is used to:

- Cut out imperfections in a snap
- Cut multiple pieces to two different lengths
- True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit
The instructions that come with the Cross-Cutter are as good as I have ever seen from Shopsmith. It is a twelve page document printed on quality paper and is illustrated using clear, sharp pictures. The instructions clearly differentiate between the two fence types.

I was a bit surprised when they detailed the screw adjustments that they use a retractable tape measure and not a precision gauge of some sort.

The tool works well and I think it should come as an included item with the rip fence.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Dusty, to be clear, are you saying the instructions that come with the jig does indeed describe how to "True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit" and "Cut out imperfections in a snap"?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mountainbreeze wrote:Dusty, to be clear, are you saying the instructions that come with the jig does indeed describe how to "True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit" and "Cut out imperfections in a snap"?
I am not sure of what you mean by "cut out imperfections in a snap" but the instructions very adequately detail how to install, calibrate and use the cross-cutter both for making multiple cuts of the same length and for making dado cuts of the desired width.

Of course there are limitations as to the width of any dado cut. This tool is intended for use on small pieces and not for milling or sizing lumber.

If I had been the designer, the 10-32 screws and associated hardware would have been more stout and I would have liked the thumb nuts to be larger in outside diameter. Yes, that would probably be to accommodate some of my own user weaknesses and not necessarily to improve the product except for me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: New Product

Post by Skizzity »

dusty wrote:
mountainbreeze wrote:Dusty, to be clear, are you saying the instructions that come with the jig does indeed describe how to "True up any variations in plywood for a precise fit" and "Cut out imperfections in a snap"?
I am not sure of what you mean by "cut out imperfections in a snap" but the instructions very adequately detail how to install, calibrate and use the cross-cutter both for making multiple cuts of the same length and for making dado cuts of the desired width.

Of course there are limitations as to the width of any dado cut. This tool is intended for use on small pieces and not for milling or sizing lumber.

If I had been the designer, the 10-32 screws and associated hardware would have been more stout and I would have liked the thumb nuts to be larger in outside diameter. Yes, that would probably be to accommodate some of my own user weaknesses and not necessarily to improve the product except for me.
Shopsmith claims on the product page.Image
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, that is what they claim but I can not explain how that is achieved or even what they really mean.

When I read "true up any variations in plywood for a precise fit" I assumed that what they were suggesting was that I could tweak my dado width to fit the plywood that I was using.

When I read "cut out imperfections in a snap" I assumed that I just did not understand and that with use I would learn. Actually, now that your questions make me think about this, I am forced to believe that it is really just marketing hype.

I won't hold my breathe but maybe Shopsmith will read this and come to the rescue with their true meanings.

At any rate - the cross-cutter does what I bought it for and does it very nicely.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Yes, that is what they claim but I can not explain how that is achieved or even what they really mean.

When I read "true up any variations in plywood for a precise fit" I assumed that what they were suggesting was that I could tweak my dado width to fit the plywood that I was using.

When I read "cut out imperfections in a snap" I assumed that I just did not understand and that with use I would learn. Actually, now that your questions make me think about this, I am forced to believe that it is really just marketing hype.

I won't hold my breathe but maybe Shopsmith will read this and come to the rescue with their true meanings.

At any rate - the cross-cutter does what I bought it for and does it very nicely.
That is what I believe. I am not dissing the SS jig in any way. I am probably going to buy one. However, the beauty of the Microjig Matchfit is the third post. It allows you to use the stock you are making the dado for to set the width. There is no tweaking required. The fit is perfect the first time.

As far as "cut out imperfections in a snap", I totally agree with you. It sounds like market hype.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT