New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by JPG »

The reason for the 32 pitch threads is so the 'marketing hype' can truthfully say "adjust 1/128" per quarter turn".

BTW 15/32(1/2?) - 32 is what the old toggle switches had. :rolleyes:

And 3/8 - 32 0n 'jack and switch hardware'.

Knobs with those threads, I do not think exist.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You are correct. There are better ways to control the width of a dado cut. Tweaking the width to within 1/32" or less is not as simple as it sounds. It is the width of the kerf that must be taken into consideration that complicates matters.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:You are correct. There are better ways to control the width of a dado cut. Tweaking the width to within 1/32" or less is not as simple as it sounds. It is the width of the kerf that must be taken into consideration that complicates matters.
And that is what the Microjig does. It takes all of the above automatically with no measuring. That is the beauty on it. It would be easy to add the third fixed post to the SS to get the same functionality. Maybe SS had a patent issue with the Microjig.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:You are correct. There are better ways to control the width of a dado cut. Tweaking the width to within 1/32" or less is not as simple as it sounds. It is the width of the kerf that must be taken into consideration that complicates matters.
And that is what the Microjig does. It takes all of the above automatically with no measuring. That is the beauty on it. It would be easy to add the third fixed post to the SS to get the same functionality. Maybe SS had a patent issue with the Microjig.
Adding a tapped hole for a 'fixed screw' would be quite simple. A square faced block secured by a screw would be more functional.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You guys can either do without or buy and modify your own. I'll keep mine and just back out the short screw three turns (3/32") and I'll be there with tight fitting dados.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I've been thinking about buying this product for a couple weeks now, and could have used it twice. Looks like a good time saver, and my time is scarce. Ordered it today. Also considering ordering a miter set.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I've been thinking about buying this product for a couple weeks now, and could have used it twice. Looks like a good time saver, and my time is scarce. Ordered it today. Also considering ordering a miter set.
Now the MiterSet is a no brainer. It is an excellent setup tool and if you do segmented turning you may need two (the regular one and the special one). I have only the standard MiterSet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Does the Micro jig allow you to move the fence over for multiple dados and keep the setting automatically as the SS does ? I think that is a major plus for the SS product. Once you have it dialed in to the desired width you can move the fence along the rail and make those dados anywhere along the piece at precisely the same width. Should work really well for mitered dados also.
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

masonsailor2 wrote:Does the Micro jig allow you to move the fence over for multiple dados and keep the setting automatically as the SS does ? I think that is a major plus for the SS product. Once you have it dialed in to the desired width you can move the fence along the rail and make those dados anywhere along the piece at precisely the same width. Should work really well for mitered dados also.
Paul
\I'm guessing here since I have never used the Micro Jig but it is also attached to the fence. It goes where the fence goes and yes it does seem as though it would be great with mitered dados.

Maybe a bit tricky to adjust.....I gotta think on that.
Last edited by dusty on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

masonsailor2 wrote:Does the Micro jig allow you to move the fence over for multiple dados and keep the setting automatically as the SS does ? I think that is a major plus for the SS product. Once you have it dialed in to the desired width you can move the fence along the rail and make those dados anywhere along the piece at precisely the same width. Should work really well for mitered dados also.
Paul
Yes, it is attached to the fence just as the SS thingy is.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT