My new wooden kitchen table light shade.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RufusL
Bronze Member

My new wooden kitchen table light shade.

Post by RufusL »

:confused: I am not exactly new to the woodworking game but have been away in corporate America. I decided to quit and do what I want for a change. My new project is really cool (I think) and I got the plan for it on the internet at joineryplans. My wife has gone nuts about it and now I have to make more! What do you guys think of it? Is it really that good?
Attachments
lapshade.png
lapshade.png (62.6 KiB) Viewed 12767 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: My new wooden kitchen table light shade.

Post by JPG »

It surely is unique. :cool: 'Good' judgement requires closer look. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If your wife likes it..."it is really that good".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:If your wife likes it..."it is really that good".

For sure!!! :) :) :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

What I have found out by working in furniture sales and also doing my own woodworking for others (I am just a beginner still) is that there are 2 definitions of good you are playing with. Asking a buyer of a unit, such as your wife, or anyone you would want to sell it to, is going to view it as the pure visual look (which I like and others would too), and then there is the craftsmanship good (where people here want to see how its made, what joints used, etc...). Honestly, they are not as connected as one would think, thus why IKEA is still in business, and why some real craftsman put so much quality into the work that its difficult to sell for the time involved (fretwork is a great example of lots of time, but hard to sell for the labor cost involved).

So when you ask if its good, and since you said quit your corporate job, rather than retired, I assume your considering it for sales. It is a nice piece that there will be a market for (your wife liking it shows there would be a market for it). I think it looks very nice.

Now what I want to see, is how its put together and the view from other angles. Simply because I am interested in the process more than I am about the end result (hence I will never be able to sell my projects because they will never be cost effective with how much time I spend on them) But hey... its fun!
-Beave
Jomaryngs
Bronze Member

Post by Jomaryngs »

cool. I just stumbled across this thread, it's just wonderful