shopsmith Model ER s/n R40632

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Viper38
Silver Member

Re: shopsmith Model ER s/n R40632

Post by Viper38 »

my file is too big I don't know how to make it smaller I took the pic with my phone
Viper38
Silver Member

Post by Viper38 »

I may have it now
Attachments
shopsmith.jpg
shopsmith.jpg (150.98 KiB) Viewed 14279 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Viper38 wrote:my file is too big I don't know how to make it smaller I took the pic with my phone
It is probably too big pixel size also. I use the MS Office picture viewer to resize pictures. IrfanView is a free program that will resize your pictures. I resize mine to 1024 X 768 and they meat the pixel size and the file size.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Viper38
Silver Member

Post by Viper38 »

it says it loaded it this time
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Viper38 wrote:I may have it now
Sorry, never noticed that the 10 was not on some data plates. They are all model 10 regardless of the data plate. Either E or ER. The model 10 was all that Magna made until they came out with the MK 5 in 1953.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Viper38
Silver Member

Post by Viper38 »

ok kool just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something lol
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

Thank you for sharing the digital edition of Power Tools And Woodworking For Everyone.
I have a hard copy of the 1953 edition but never new they had an updated 1955 edition.

rpd wrote:
Viper38 wrote:Newbie here. I just got this unit yesterday not knowing what I was getting. What is the difference between a ER and a 10ER? Where would be a good place to find books for it and parts ? Thanks for all the help.
;

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your new acquisition. :)

The first Shopsmith was the 10E (10 Experimental) which was followed by the 10ER (10 Experimental Revised). Sometimes people will abbreviate it to just ER but it is the same thing. (It is just like the difference between a duck. There is no difference, one leg is both the same. ;) )

The manuals that Everett Davis restored and linked to above are a wonderful resource. :)

You can also find documentation for the 10ER and associated equipment on the Vintage Machinery web site. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/de ... =338&tab=3

There is a really good thread on this forum that is worth reading. Everything E / ER - Technical info, documentation, links

And here is a link to digitized book that covers the functions of the 10ER in depth. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8nssglpvm4jj ... e.pdf?dl=0

Please post pictures of your 10ER and the accessories that came with it, we love pictures :cool: , and feel free to ask questions.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Although the first Model 10ER’s Logo/Serial Number plates simply said they were Model ER they were in fact Model 10ER’s. Apparently to save redesigning the Logo/Serial Number plate ER replaced 10E as 10ER would not fit in the space. Later the Logo/Serial Number Plate was redesigned with Model 10ER on it. There are minor differences in the Model 10's depending on when they were made. They were a work in progress and improvements/changes were made. As an example and one of the most visible changes that occurred after they became the Model 10ER was the Base Plate was made smaller. If you need parts you will have to watch for changes such as needing a Quill Lock as there are three types, the first was a double wedge, followed by a keyed wedge and a single wedge. Many of the parts are interchangeable and a couple of the parts are the same as the ones on a new Mark V today.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

hdoilcan wrote:Thank you for sharing the digital edition of Power Tools And Woodworking For Everyone.
I have a hard copy of the 1953 edition but never new they had an updated 1955 edition.
Your are welcome,
The 1955 edition of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone, was re written for the Mark 5's and included new chapters for the newly released SPT's.
The person who compiled this digital version of the 1953 edition added those new chapters from the 1955 edition to make it more complete.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
geoiggits
Bronze Member

Post by geoiggits »

Hi John (jsburger), Just saw your comment regarding the Model Numbers on the vintage Shopsmiths. Mine is an ER with no "10" preceding it. Just thought you may want to see the faceplace showing that. Cheers!! Geoiggits
Attachments
shopsmith.jpg
shopsmith.jpg (112.2 KiB) Viewed 12592 times