Age Range of Shopsmith Users

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What's your age?

75+
1%
75+
10%
75+
13%
75+
25%
75+
32%
75+
16%
75+
3%

Total votes: 386

deanthom
Gold Member

Welcome to Melanie

Post by deanthom »

mlwiltse wrote:I am going to see if I can get the lathe set up on the SS and figure out how to turn a cylinder. I'm signed up for a beginning lathe class at Woodcraft on Saturday. Today I ordered the parts catalog for the SS. I know the speed indicator doesn't work
Well, we're glad you're here and that you stepped out of the shadows to share! Would you consider visiting your profile and putting at least your state, if not your city, so that we can put you on our mental maps?

If your SS is carefully adjusted, and if the quill bearings are solid, you can turn a nice cylinder and can bore out enough wood to make a satisfying flute, I'd think. If you use woods like cedar, you'll need to make up some special centers to keep from splitting it out, but it can be done. There is a guy in St Louis who makes recorders on his Shopsmith. He says that he prefers to use his dedicated lathe, but that he started out doing 'em on the SS.

Paul Cohen mentioned the lift assist. Nice product. I don't own one (yet), but have used one and it's a great bit of wonderment for those of us whose backs are at least 50-years-old and abused. :D

And if you run into troubles, with your geography figured out, you might find someone on this list who'd be willing and able to help you with some of the mechanical tasks.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
dsnyder
Bronze Member

Post by dsnyder »

I've had my Mark V for over 20 years. I got it before I was married and made the crib that all of the kids used plus too many other projects to mention.
bikermike81
Silver Member

Post by bikermike81 »

im 29 years old just picked up a shopsmith last week off of craigs list. In the middle of buffing out the tables and what not so that stock will glide easily. ill let you guys know howi like it.
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

I was 28 when I purchased my Shopsmith, in 1974. I'll be 65 in a couple on months. Still using the same machine. I have added a 1956 cut down to a mini last year.
I was using my neighbors, Shopsmith when I was a teenager.
pessen
Gold Member

Still A Kid (relatively)

Post by pessen »

Just bought my first Shopsmith a couple of weeks ago at the grand age of 26. With a couple of months left to finish up my thesis and being married with a couple kiddo's and another on the way, I am probably not going to have time to do anything with it for a couple more months. But I can't wait to start getting it in tip top shape and making some sawdust!

I read a comment back when this poll was originally started about how most younger members don't participate on the forums. Not sure why this is, I think that I have been on here almost every day since I bought the SS and really appreciate all the SS knowledge that is collected here in one spot ready and willing to answer my questions.

I'll be making good use of you all in a few months! :D
1981 Mark V, bought used in Feb. 2011
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I aquired both my Shopsmiths last summer. I've been doing scroll saw and band saw projects on and off for the last 20 years and not much anything bigger, but in the last 6 months I've built a desk with my middle daughter, several birdhouses with my youngest for 4H, a country style kitchen cabinet for my wife, and several toddler scooters for for relatives and friends who have or about to have kids. I've practically parked all my benchtop tools.
flatfoot
Silver Member

Post by flatfoot »

30 years old here and learning to use the SSMKV which I think is older than me. I love it. My dad took such good care of this thing I'm afraid I'll scratch it.

First real project is a set of nursery furniture (changing table, closet unit, crib) for our first kid due in June.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

long wrote:30 years old here and learning to use the SSMKV which I think is older than me. I love it. My dad took such good care of this thing I'm afraid I'll scratch it.

First real project is a set of nursery furniture (changing table, closet unit, crib) for our first kid due in June.
Congratulations and good luck. If this is your first project, you chose a duzzey. You better get started. Three months will pass in no time. Momma may not agree with that but she is on a different schedule than you are.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I am 47 and remember when there was a Shopsmith retail store down the road from me. I always wanted one but could not afford it until later in life. I am pretty mechanically inclined so refurbing the machines i have acquired has been easy. Using them has been a little more challenging but only due to my lack of extensive woodworking experience. Although that is coming along nicely. I think many of us didn't have the time or didn't allocate the time earlier in life to accomplish woodworking tasks and the machines were relagated to repair duties only. But as we get older we slow down enough to smell the roses and are compelled to take the time necessary to build some nice things that will stand the test of time. At least that is the way it is for me anyway. I was really bored and disgusted with myself this winter and thought how could I get myself more productive and utilize the Shopsmith's I have acquired. So I started playing around with Sketchup and planning some projects. My only hurdle is the fact that all my stuff is in the garage and it isn't heated so I can't really work out there in the dead of the NE winter. I hope at some point to cure that problem as well.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Remember this survey started in 2007, you have to add 4 years to the date ranges depending when they were surveyed.

Maybe we should have a new survey or else just say we are young at heart. :D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!