Age Range of Shopsmith Users

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What's your age?

75+
1%
75+
10%
75+
13%
75+
25%
75+
32%
75+
16%
75+
3%

Total votes: 386

michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

I was in my mid 20's when I bought my Mark V (model 500). Over the years as the demands of home & family increased, my time for woodworking decreased. The MKV was being used mostly for home repair/renovation.

While it was a major expense back then (still is, I guess, if you're buying a new one) the MKV has served me well, and was well worth the expense. Now that I have been able to get back into woodworking, I could easily justify the cost of upgrading.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
azboxmaker
Bronze Member

Post by azboxmaker »

Only those of us over the age of 30 probably remember the SS demos at the county fair. I used to always watch them and wish I could afford one . Finally got a good 1985 era one off craigslist. These machines are fantastic did some cleaning and a little oil and it runs like a top. I call it my little american tractor runs and runs you can fix it with some oil and a hammer. My 24yr old nephew ,who really does know it all, says I need to get rid of the OLD SS and get stand alone new tools they are cheaper and look better?? I always nicely try to explain how if we bought more USA machines we would not have to learn to speak chinese.Guess I'm one of the lucky ones aged 55 right in the middle of the "dumb" old timers that don't know or care about x-box or facebook. sorry for the rant
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

azboxmaker wrote:Only those of us over the age of 30 probably remember the SS demos at the county fair. I used to always watch them and wish I could afford one . Finally got a good 1985 era one off craigslist. These machines are fantastic did some cleaning and a little oil and it runs like a top. I call it my little american tractor runs and runs you can fix it with some oil and a hammer. My 24yr old nephew ,who really does know it all, says I need to get rid of the OLD SS and get stand alone new tools they are cheaper and look better?? I always nicely try to explain how if we bought more USA machines we would not have to learn to speak chinese.Guess I'm one of the lucky ones aged 55 right in the middle of the "dumb" old timers that don't know or care about x-box or facebook. sorry for the rant
When did that become 'relevant'?:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fiatben
Platinum Member

According to this poll

Post by fiatben »

I'm in the second largest group demographically, and rapidly aging into the majority!

I remember SS demos in the local mall back in the 70s. I was just a teen (sheesh, that was about 4 lifetimes ago!) and totally fascinated with what the demonstrator could make with that contraption. I particularly remember the complex cutting he did on the bandsaw that made a little animal, deer I think, when he pulled off all the offcuts. I could stand there and watch the demos all day, over and over, and drool on myself the whole time. Now I have an old '55 and I still drool on myself, but it has nothing to do with enviously watching a demo!! :p
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

ericolson wrote:It's interesting to see that the majority of the owners participating in the poll are in the upper age brackets. I would've thought that the bulk of owners would've been in the middle age groups.

Eric
I consider myself to be "middle-aged." However, since I don't know anyone who is 116 years old, I suspect I'm on the downhill side of the mountain.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is an older poll and is possibly not representative of the current membership. However, how many teen agers do you know who are into wood working? How many teens or near teens do you know who were exposed to the industrial trades in middle and/or high school?

I think this is the reason for the age profile you see here. It is us older farts that had that training and thus the interest is skewed toward the elder age groups.:)

I find it absolutely perfect. When I was younger, I mean a lot younger, I did not have time to make sawdust. I've had a wood shop for only 25 years now. I spent almost twice that long with just a hammer, screw driver and hand saw in my tool box.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

I agree with a couple of the previous posts. 1. We live in a throw away society these days. Kids aren't taught to make or repair anything. (see Christopher Schwarz editorial in the April 2011 Popular Woodworking)
2. The lack of Shopsmith marketing. Most of the younger people (35 and under) people that I talk to have never heard of a Shopsmith and no idea that anything like it exists unless their father or grandfather introduced them. I too remember seeing the Shopsmith at the state fair every year. It was the one thing I sought out to marvel at. Took me 30 years to get one of my own, but never forgot about them.

BTW: to AZBOXMAKER, I actually do speak Chinese and still prefer my US made Shopsmith !

bob
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

scottss wrote:I'll be fifty in about a month, I have had my shopsmith for only a few years although I had been looking at them for more than twenty years. I sold all most all of my stand alone tools (drill press, contractor table saw, and band saw) and upgraded to a used shopsmith (1960) only to buy another one (1980) and have upgrade it to a 510 and upgraded my ss bandsaw. Next is to upgrade my jointer. I would be curious to see what the polls say about 500, 510 & 520 also accessories.
If you have a question that you believe can be answered by poll results - you can initiate a poll.
MarkFive510
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The survey isn't complete, there needs to be a category labeled Three Days Older Than Dirt. That way Dusty can do the survery. :D

Sorry Dusty but I just could not resist.:p
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:The survey isn't complete, there needs to be a category labeled Three Days Older Than Dirt. That way Dusty can do the survery. :D

Sorry Dusty but I just could not resist.:p
Oh, that's OKAY. There are at least two people on this forum (in this thread) that are older than I.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.