Eccentric Mounting Tube

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brunutt
Silver Member

Eccentric Mounting Tube

Post by brunutt »

Hi everyone. I aquired a used ShopSmith around a month ago and now i,m getting around to figuring how everything works. It came with a band saw, jig saw, belt sander, power station,Overhead pin router with a under table router, shaper with acc., a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck with all the original stuff. It's a 1985 model 510 and everything seems to be in great shape. What I need is a long eccentric mounting tube for the jigsaw so it can be aligned correctly. It came with 1 eccentric and 1 straight tube, so does anyone know where I might locate one. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks Bruce
jbooher
Gold Member

Post by jbooher »

Shopsmith has them in the Accessory Catalog under bandsaws. The eccentric tube is on sale at present.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

IMO those eccentrics are not worth the money. I purchased a set (555626) with my initial order only to return them for a refund. While they will allow you to keep the band saw mounted while placing the Mark V into "drill press", I found they allow for an unstable band saw table. The flat steel linking those two pieces of round stock acted like a mini spring board. If I'm not comfortable with a tool, it doesn't get used.

I discussed the problem with a machinist friend who offered to make me a solid pair. I opted out and have just used the standard mounting tubes. It's not a big effort to remove or remount the band saw. Over the years, the issue became moot as I normally leave the band saw mounted on a power station.

AS for aligning either the jig saw or band saw, it should be able to be done with the standard 513779 eccentric SOLID that are listed with the scroll saw, band saw and other SPT's.

Others here should be able to help too....Guys like mtobey have jig saws, methinks.

Doc
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

chiroindixon wrote:IMO those eccentrics are not worth the money. I purchased a set (555626) with my initial order only to return them for a refund. While they will allow you to keep the band saw mounted while placing the Mark V into "drill press", I found they allow for an unstable band saw table. The flat steel linking those two pieces of round stock acted like a mini spring board. If I'm not comfortable with a tool, it doesn't get used.

I discussed the problem with a machinist friend who offered to make me a solid pair. I opted out and have just used the standard mounting tubes. It's not a big effort to remove or remount the band saw. Over the years, the issue became moot as I normally leave the band saw mounted on a power station.

AS for aligning either the jig saw or band saw, it should be able to be done with the standard 513779 eccentric SOLID that are listed with the scroll saw, band saw and other SPT's.

Others here should be able to help too....Guys like mtobey have jig saws, methinks.

Doc

Doc
Thank you. I have often wondered if those posts with metal strap wouldn't make like a diving board. Now I know. Thanks!!!!
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Eccentric Mounting Tube

Post by dusty »

Just what are the "Adjustable Eccentric Mounting Tubes" (555626) suppose to do for you that is not done by using 5137779.

My SPT (Bandsaw, Jointer and Beltsamder) came with Eccentric Mounting Tubes. I have been using those for all these years even though the others have been listed in the catalog.

Are the originals still being delivered as "part of the SPT". They seem to be listed that way in the illustrated parts breakdowns that are part of the on line catalog.

Incidently, the eccentrics are depicted in the drawings for the jointer but they have been omitted in the detailed parts breakdown for same (item #51).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Dusty! I believe the eccentric tubes (555626) off set the SPT enough so you can raise the Headstock into drill press configuration without removing the SPT from it's location.

When bandsawing, it is sometimes would be handy to be able to drill without first removing the bandsaw, because there is more bandsawing to do on that piece. These eccentrics allow you to do that.

I don't have these yet. I like to suffer through the extra lifting. :rolleyes: It's good exercise.;)

I also wondered about the 'diving board' action that might exist. Now I see there is some of that.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think the diving board models came out after the aluminum table came out for the bandsaw upgrade. I believe with my old cast iron table I'm able to lift my SS into drill press mode, though I never have.

I think the extensions were made to the bandsaw set further away from the head stock to clear the new larger aluminum table. Something else I never got. I love my cast iron table.
Ed
brunutt
Silver Member

Post by brunutt »

Thanks everyone, I was looking for the ones that ame with the acc. Called shopsmith to ask about the 5137779 and found out the ones for the jigsaw was still available #5137769. Appreciate the help.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Gee, I keep the band saw on the extension tubes most of the time (all the time) allowing easy changes to the drill press and back to saw, disc sander, and band saw. Since most of my projects are small the vibration on the bandsaw is negligable. Any vibration on a scrollsaw would be undesirable since the tolerances on scroll work are so small. But I cannot comment there as I have a Hawk. Guess what I'm saying is it works for me.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Post by dusty »

I have the eccentric mounting tubes (5137779) on my bandsaw, jointer and beltsander.

The belt sander is on a dedicated stand so I don't have to be concerned about it obstructing the Shopsmith going to drill press mode. I believe it can be done the same as with thew other SPT.

The bandsaw and jointer, however, reside on the left end of the Shopsmith. I have adjusted the eccentrics so that with either of these , I can lift the Shopsmith to drill press mode without removing the SPT.

I don't see any extra value in the 555626, yet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.