Today in the shop (pin router project)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (pin router project)

Post by reible »

Dug out an old pin router jig and started a project. I did a video of it and while it's pretty ruff it still gives you the idea. When you start watching see how long it takes you to figure out what I'm cutting out.

Some of you still will not know what this is but we will fix that in time.

Yes I really don't work that fast.... but who wants to watch something like this for 10 minutes or so???

https://youtu.be/3gAsvEt1ZpM

A second video of how the bear is removed from the wood is at:

https://youtu.be/pQgJNQh8s7Y

The second one is in real time and it is pretty short. Nothing earth shattering here but I thought some of you might like it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (pin router project)

Post by reible »

A couple of still pictures of the bear.
20171218_173318_resized.jpg
20171218_173318_resized.jpg (256.09 KiB) Viewed 14518 times
20171218_174535_resized.jpg
20171218_174535_resized.jpg (134.42 KiB) Viewed 14518 times
Ed
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Now that is slick- I have always had an idea of how a pin router worked but never saw it in action.
Thanks for sharing!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

like !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Let's see the bottom of the jig!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Let's see the bottom of the jig!
Thanks for asking. That was my first thought. Followed by "Why do I need an overhead pin router to do see"? It seems like the same thing could be done on a standard Mark V setup only you would be working blind.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well I hope you are not too disappointed....... the bottom looks like the bear.
20171219_094151_resized.jpg
20171219_094151_resized.jpg (224.73 KiB) Viewed 14414 times
The only part that is critical is the bear, the pattern keeps the bit from cutting into that part. I like to make a trench but the initial pattern to make what you see was this:
20171219_094243_resized.jpg
20171219_094243_resized.jpg (163.67 KiB) Viewed 14414 times
And I used it to make the larger block inset which I use to cut the bears. I saved the pattern just encase I mess something up and need to replace things.

The thing that I found interesting was that I did not like the design with perfect summitry. An intermediate design I used a half pattern then flipped it to make both sides the same. It didn't look right, it lacked the "home made" look. I'm pretty happy with this design at least for now and who knows how many more bears are in my future.

I did the video so the grand kids could see me and the OPR in action and then after posting I decided to share here. I might show the drilling too once I'm to that point, maybe later today, after shopping and errands.

Ed
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Ed, I use the original cut out. The hardboard one in your picture, as the guide. The board the hardboard is mounted to would get strips around the edge to make it steady. The grooves seem unnecessary.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Everyone to his or her own way of doing things. I've found I like to have a cavity to route in since the initial cut you are following the pattern blind, give it a try sometime.

It is just a one time thing then maybe not worth it but when you do a lot of something then I'm pretty much convinced it is the way to go.

Ed

Gene Howe wrote:Ed, I use the original cut out. The hardboard one in your picture, as the guide. The board the hardboard is mounted to would get strips around the edge to make it steady. The grooves seem unnecessary.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is the jig I have for doing more operations. First it has a hole that is at the center of the bears thickness. I can just use that to find the table height for the horizontal drilling. You can see it here:
IMG_5239sc.jpg
IMG_5239sc.jpg (215.21 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
With that set I can then adjust the miter gauge angle and clamp the jig to the miter gauge. Note the dual washers on the bottom of the jig, they allow me to drill one side then loose the screw and readjust to fit the bears flip side. Remember the bear is not symmetrical.
IMG_5240.jpg
IMG_5240.jpg (286.72 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
The holes end up looking like this:
IMG_5242sc.jpg
IMG_5242sc.jpg (171.23 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
The other function is as a story stick for the top beam. It provides the length and hole positions as seen here:
IMG_5243sc.jpg
IMG_5243sc.jpg (228.13 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
The beam in this picture has been cut to length and marked for the drilling operation.

The bears are sharing time with other activities so it might be a few days until you get to see the next installment.

Ed