Anyone tried Alexa in the shop?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Anyone tried Alexa in the shop?

Post by reible »

I'm slowly replacing my X10 system with wifi based parts and using Alexa for voice control. I haven't played with it that much but so far I'm liking it.

So I have some items coming in this week where I can expand into my shop and was wondering if anyone has tried to voice control say their shop vacuum, and how well that worked.

If it didn't cost so much I'd like to put some or all of my shop lights on the system. That way if I needed more light over in the back corner I could just ask for it rather then curse the darkness.

If you have this in your home I'd like to here how that is going for you too.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone tried Alexia in the shop?

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I'm still holding out for a Clapper! :p
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I'm still holding out for a Clapper! :p
I'm waiting until they invent a mechanical switch that turns things off and on. I figure it will be the most reliable means of doing things. :)
Ed84
Silver Member

Post by Ed84 »

The Alexia controlled outlets might not be able to handle a dust collector or shop vac amperage. The motor inrush might fry them too. I'm not sure what they're rated for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Ed84 wrote:... I'm not sure what they're rated for.
I have one rated for 15A.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone tried Alexa in the shop?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

alexa ?

you must be single .

If I was talking to alexa the wife might develop a attitude

On second thought ,,,,,does she sweep floors?

when the day comes that I cant reach a plug or a light switch its time to retire ,,, until then I like my manual switches , when its off ,, its off .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hobbyman2 wrote:alexa ?

you must be single .

If I was talking to alexa the wife might develop a attitude

On second thought ,,,,,does she sweep floors?

when the day comes that I cant reach a plug or a light switch its time to retire ,,, until then I like my manual switches , when its off ,, its off .
So you get up every time you want to change channels or turn the tv on and off?

I'm guessing you are old enough to remember the days when they did not have tv remotes and I recall people saying they didn't need a remote, it was of course something new and would never catch on, people were never going to be that lazy......... How ever I don't know anyone who doesn't use them now. Same thing with computers in the home, cell phones, tablets, cars with computers in them, digital cameras........... "you will be assimilated; resistance is futile".

It is never about turn a light on and off.

Ed
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I could see how lighting control would be fairly simple using WiFi outlets and even WiFi bulbs. Create grids, naming conventions and even mood lighting :p . However, much has been written about the system’s inability to distinguish voices (human in the room from those on TV programs) and not understanding commands over kitchen appliances and finally lack of response in vehicles due to road noise, I wonder how efficient it would be in a shop. :confused: especially with dust collection, etc.
I’ve not checked to see if there are microphones which can be used with Alexa to reduce the influence of ambient noises, but if they are available, you could be decked out like a demonstrator at a Woodworking show. ;)
Personally, with my complete and total lack of political correctness, I’d probably be sued by Alexa within the first few minutes of shop usage. :eek: :D

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The outlet if you will arrived today. The dot is not due in until the 28th and I'm not sure if that is to me or to Amazon.

I currently have two dots in use. So far I've been impressed at how well it does. You have at this point only limited options for the alert word, Alexa in my case. You have to say Alexa to start everything you ask. So if say the tv were to say turn on red tree lights nothing would happen. If it said Alexa turn on red tree lights well that could be another story. So far that has not happened. As part of my testing I want to record my voice and then play the audio of commands to see how it reacts. Not at that point yet.

The device has a visual aspect that lets you know it is listening. So far it has never come on except when I or the wife speak to it. It is setting right in front of the TV so it has gotten hours of exposure to a lot of verbiage without reaction.

I also have a fire 10 with Alexa that I've had for a while and again no strange behavior. In fact when I have the tablet and the dot in the same room they decide who will respond, and only one will. That was one of the things I was wondering about when I started down the path.

I've had some form of a "smart home" for a very long time but this is a new adventure. It still lacks some of the external things I'd like to see but they will more then likely be developed, or at least I hope so.

My main concern now is how well it hears in high noise levels like the shop will have. If it basically overloads with sound it will not be able to here the Alexa and then will not listen for the commands.

The other issue is the fact that Google and Amazon are not playing well together. Same old stuff that makes competition good also makes it bad.

Anyway I've got a project to finish in the next 15 minutes out in the shop.

Ed
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

Ed,
I've got a couple of Amazon Dots at home, which I like, and I have also thought about using them in the shop for the same purposes you have proposed. I think for turning on lights and equipment it would work well. I'm concerned about turning off equipment, as I wonder if the noise of the tool and/or dust collector would interfere with Alexa's ability to hear and understand your command. Let us know how you fare with your shop Alexa.