Bandsaw Wheel

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw Wheel

Post by dusty »

If someone (anyone) would post a picture or two that reveal the groove (where the bandsaw tire rides) in the edge of the bandsaw wheel, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have two bandsaws that have never had the tires off but I would like to see the groove that is alleged to be there. Just a curiosity.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Wheel

Post by algale »

A groove? In the metal of the band saw wheel's rim? I must have missed this debate.

A few years back I had the rubber tires off my early 2000s vintage band saw and I do not recall seeing any groove in the rim where the tires rode. I think I would have noticed that.

Now, the rubber tires did have an indentation on the top surface of the rubber where a blade had compressed the rubber; but this wasn't transferred from or into the metal of the rim.

What am I missing?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:A groove? In the metal of the band saw wheel's rim? I must have missed this debate.

A few years back I had the rubber tires off my early 2000s vintage band saw and I do not recall seeing any groove in the rim where the tires rode. I think I would have noticed that.

Now, the rubber tires did have an indentation on the top surface of the rubber where a blade had compressed the rubber; but this wasn't transferred from or into the metal of the rim.

What am I missing?
I am reacting only to what I have been told and a comment in the patent document for the bandsaw. If it is there, I would like to see it. If there is a groove, I am stumped as to why (or how) a tire would ever "come off".

I am only 78 years old but I do not believe I will ever see my bandsaw wheels without their tires.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:
algale wrote:A groove? In the metal of the band saw wheel's rim? I must have missed this debate.

What am I missing?
I am reacting only to what I have been told and a comment in the patent document for the bandsaw. If it is there, I would like to see it. If there is a groove, I am stumped as to why (or how) a tire would ever "come off".

I am only 78 years old but I do not believe I will ever see my bandsaw wheels without their tires.
Well, there is a lip on the front rim of the tire and on the back rim as well. I guess one could call the space between the front and rear lips a groove.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is the area between the 'lips' (aka groove) machined, or is is 'cast'? Ain't never seen mine either.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

No, groove.. not the best picture but here it is.
Attachments
IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4458.JPG (60.45 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:Is the area between the 'lips' (aka groove) machined, or is is 'cast'? Ain't never seen mine either.
It's a smoothish surface, as I recall (after getting all the glue off). So I suppose that suggests machining?

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

oldc6 wrote:No, groove.. not the best picture but here it is.
If you say there is no groove (no depression where the belt rides) you have answered my question but if you had just shown me that photo image and told me there was a shallow depression I would have been convinced.

Then I get the next response and algale says there is a lip (front and back of the tire).

This might indicate a vintage change.

I sure wish that Shopsmith would tune in on discussions like this and tell us how it really is (and why).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Dusty like you I have never seen the wheels naked. I will take a look at mine when I got out there today as I think it is possible to do a finger nail test to see if mine has a lip. I'll let you know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Dusty like you I have never seen the wheels naked. I will take a look at mine when I got out there today as I think it is possible to do a finger nail test to see if mine has a lip. I'll let you know.

Ed
Thank you. I would appreciate that. My wheels have the black "hard rubber" tires. There is no way I can tell.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty