so much for

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: so much for

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Hobbyman2 wrote:was in Superior WI a few years ago with a truck load of produce,,,, it was -45 with out the wind chill , ,the heater in the trailer was running non stop to keep the produce @ 43 deg fht,,had two pallets under the produce so the bottom layer didnt freeze , woke up and there was frost on the inside walls of the truck , if your ready and prepared for it it is doable, trouble is around here people are still wearing tennis shoes and driving on plain radial tires like its summer .
its 12 above here right now we just got 3in of fresh snow over night.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What is unusually cold or unusually hot has been a variable all of my life. Seasons change and with that change comes a change in the weather. Some winters are colder than others. Some summers are hotter than others. Some times there is an unusual amount of rain/snow then sometimes we have a drought.

Is this "climate change"? Yes, undoubtedly. Is it being effected by all of the pollutants that we generate? Probably. Can we, occupants of this planet, effect any real change? Maybe. But that would have to be a world wide team effort and I don't believe the team exists. There is no team because there are too many individuals who want to be team captain.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Hobbyman2 wrote: its 12 above here right now we just got 3in of fresh snow over night.
I would consider 12 above a heat wave this time of year. Here we haven't seen the temperature that hot day or night since Dec 24. For the past 6 days we have been around 0 in the daytime and -20 to -25 at night. Tomorrow night the forecast calls for around -30 so I don't expect to see +12 for a while yet.
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

It is warmer here this morning than it has been all week a balmy 9. The highs last week have been around 2 to 4 and the lows -15. To me this is just a normal winter that we use to have. All the call for global warming would not be happening if those crying about it would stop spreadin all their hot air around. It is just a normal winter. I remember warm one and remember a lot colder ones
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Let us all agree. The weather is no longer typical of what we all remember but there are many memories that are now suspect.

I remember living in a neighborhood where life was fun (except when I had to mow the grass or shovel the snow. I would no longer consider, even for a moment, returning to live in that same neighborhood.

I remember jumping out of the attic window into the snow banks below. My brother, who still lives in the same town, reports that until this year he does not remember having that much snow (in any one season since I left home.

Is the arctic ice melting at an unusual rate. I don't know. I have not been there. But if it is would it help if we all quit driving cars and ride bicycles instead.

BTW back then clear across town was about 6 miles. Today it is 15 or 20 (maybe more). Remember when both the morning and evening paper were delivered by a kid on a bicycle. That kid was me; 250 subscribers or more a day. No longer.

Is there door to door delivery of the newspaper any where any more.

Life changes with the weather.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

For your musical enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2KrgIHlBw

And, for your viewing enjoyment.
25.jpg
25.jpg (129.37 KiB) Viewed 5957 times
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

That's the scariest photo I've seen in a long time.

Generally, I'm quite happy with our Canadian friends to the North. But, I think they owe us an apology for this!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

davebodner wrote:That's the scariest photo I've seen in a long time.

Generally, I'm quite happy with our Canadian friends to the North. But, I think they owe us an apology for this!
Bismarck ain't in Canada(almost though)!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

davebodner wrote:That's the scariest photo I've seen in a long time.

I was listening to a meteorologist* on the radio the other day, and he said the cold Arctic outflow air originates in Siberia, and comes over the pole. Sounds like a good excuse to Blame The Russians. ;)

* perhaps that should be "meaty urologist" - overweight and predicting piss poor weather. :D
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

dusty wrote:Let us all agree. The weather is no longer typical of what we all remember but there are many memories that are now suspect.

I remember living in a neighborhood where life was fun (except when I had to mow the grass or shovel the snow. I would no longer consider, even for a moment, returning to live in that same neighborhood.

I remember jumping out of the attic window into the snow banks below. My brother, who still lives in the same town, reports that until this year he does not remember having that much snow (in any one season since I left home.

Is the arctic ice melting at an unusual rate. I don't know. I have not been there. But if it is would it help if we all quit driving cars and ride bicycles instead.

BTW back then clear across town was about 6 miles. Today it is 15 or 20 (maybe more). Remember when both the morning and evening paper were delivered by a kid on a bicycle. That kid was me; 250 subscribers or more a day. No longer.

Is there door to door delivery of the newspaper any where any more.

Life changes with the weather.
=============================
Here is what I know from my studies on it.

Several years ago when all the hysteria was going on with the climate community and their emails hit the net,,,,, I did a lot of reading , the emils were posted on line for every one to read,,,once I read emails where one high ranking recipient of federal funding said to another,,,,,, to be careful what they said over the net or they would lose funding,,,, I became very suspicious ,,,,, lets just say there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on both sides,,,,, however one thing that was not ,,,,,is the fact the rain forest have been depleted,,,,,this is one thing that has the power to change the atmosphere ,,,, but then once you study the levels of gases recorded in the trees and all the other natural sources of climate recordings them selves ,,history shows the coldest climate was during such times as high co levels .

do I know what is true or not,? I do know NOOA has made a ton of money for publishing information that is very debatable,,, cutting down the rain forest is a man made issue , so we could say the climate changed because of man,, however that said it is very suspicious that mother nature cant and or wont adapt to every thing that happens ,history has proven it will happen with out our help ,in a forest you cut down a tree some thing else grows in its place .

Moving on ,, China built the 3 river gorge dam, it holds so much water that it has been said to have altered the rotation of the earth, so again man could have altered the climate to a certain degree, like a lot of people I remember a lot of snow and temps ranging from the teens to 20 to 30 below from December to march were not unusual. a few years ago we had a warm winter,, a few years back we had a drought, now it looks as if nature is trying to right itself on her own.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)