Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Re: Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Post by rcplaneguy »

I’ve only used black pipe, it is strong, cheap, and was in the instructions (Pony clamp heads) if I recall correctly. Good stuff but heavy.Image
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Had some galvanized in some Jorgies I found at a yard sale. They were well used and you could see the skid marks where they had slipped. I tried them once. Went to black pipe.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have never tried the conduit in question. The smoother finish might be a nice but my guess is it will get dug into with the clamps so depending on how tough it is will have to be a wait and see. As was pointed out in the video you will need to tap a standard pipe thread for the clamp head to attach. I have such taps so I might try it sometime.

The idea of using galvanized rather then black pipe has been around a long time. I have a couple of clamps I did that way and they are in the 40 year old range. The galvanized pipe is not smooth, the free ends of the clamps are more difficult to slide and it is harder the get the "bite" sometimes. But it wasn't bad enough for me to replace the pipe. By the way I also have not gone that way again.....

As far as flexing, the pipes are not that difficult to flex in longer lengths. The 1/2" was really bad so they are now all gone and I strictly have 3/4".

The one little trick that I have to keep the wood away from the pipe that I will share with you is none other then split flex tubing. It is normally used bundling wires together you can use it for a lot of things.

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Nylon-Wire ... ing+1+inch

Prices vary a lot so if this interests you then do some shopping. Also I can't remember off hand if I've used 3/4" or 1" but I think both might work. If someone wants me to check let me know and I get out to the shop to check.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Glue on the pipe is almost as onerous as blackend glue on the project. I've been using packing tape on the pipe. That split wire looks promising. Thanks for the tip, Ed.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have mostly 3/4 black pipe, some very old and rusted but work great. Someone gave me a few pieces of 2’ galvanized a while back so I made some short clamps. The galvanized definitely slips until you get them scarred up enough and then they seem to work fine. I was ready to replace them with black pipe and then they slowly started to work fine after they got chewed up from use. As far as glue goes I don’t really pay attention to it. After the glue dries I just run the loose end up and down the pipe and it chips it off. If I was using epoxy then yes I would cover the pipe with something.
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

BTW the black staining can happen with other clamps too. Oak glue and metal = black stain. If you are not using oak then I think you are pretty safe, it is the only common wood that I use that does that.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]