Dado Blade

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

webzter
Silver Member

Dado Blade

Post by webzter »

I have just purchased a used Mark V and I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a restriction on the size of a dado blade that can be used on the Mark V. I have an 8 inch set and would like to use it on my new Mark V.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Web;
8" is ok. The max width is 13/16 with the proper table insert. The speed should be set below that of the dado setting on the speed control in my opinion.
The speed on the speed control isfor the 6" dado but the rim speed of the 8" blades should require a slower speed setting. Remember that you are removing a large amount of stock with a dado.
Bill
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

What Bill says makes sense and could very well be true; maybe others will ring in too. The only thing that makes me hesitate to use a slower blade speed is the knowledge that a slower speed used with some other tools increases the chance of kickback. I do knot know if this will be so with the dado blade. With single purpose tablesaws, the speed is the same for a regular blade and a dado set. Just some things to consider.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I have an add-on question: What in your opininon is better, especially for a new woodworker, an Magna adjustable dado blade or stacking blades?

Ron
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What is better - a very subjective question. I have both and use both about equally. When I am working on something where I want the joints to look really good, I used a stacked dado set. I believe they produse a cleaner, more flat bottomed dado. When convenience is more important than final appearance - I use the adjustable dado.

As far as the "Magna" adjustable is concerned - I don't know. Never used it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
sandyj
Gold Member

Post by sandyj »

I have the magna adjustable blade and don't like it - It leaves a curved top to your cut.
Speed - normal tablesaw and slow feed.

I have not used a regular dado blade.

I prefer the router table or router-hand held and guide.

My humble 2cent worth - hope this helps

Regards
Sandy
1960 SS500, Magna Jointer & Dado. Hailing from New Zealand
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Ron309753 wrote:I have an add-on question: What in your opininon is better, especially for a new woodworker, an Magna adjustable dado blade or stacking blades?

Ron
I agree with dusty; it is subjective: Personal preference, different brands, experience, etc., can all effect an answer. Use what you have. If you are buying one for the first time, is it possible to use one owned by a friend/acquaintance first? And like sandyj pointed out; DO consider a router. I find that they make a much smoother cut, and I hardly ever use my dado set anymore.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Web- professionals seem to prefer stacked dados. If you are going to be doing a lot of dado cutting with the table saw, a stacked dado would probably be a good envestment. I don't own one, and have gotten along just fine. Mine is a wobble dado I bought from Shopsmith. It doesn't say Magna anywhere on it. I really don't know the brand. I've found that it cuts very smooth bottoms between 3/4" and 1/2". smaller dados have a rise in the center of the bottom. I've found scraping with a chisel will level this quickly.

Now days, I use a router whenever practicable and set-up (time) effective. If I had a stacked dado, I'd probably agree with Dusty.

Just so happens I had to make a new jig for shutter louvers. Did that yesterday and used the dado. Attached is a photo of the old jig. The new one looks just essentially the same. The three dado cuts are 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". (Changing thickness settings was a snap with the wobble.) The total depth is 1 1/2". As the distance between the cuts had to be exactly 2 1/2", I found the table saw with dado blade to be the preferred method. Incidentally, the 1 1/2" depth is the deepest I could do with the dado. (I think it is a 6" blade).

As far as speed - I turn the speed to the dado mark on the dial and increase it if there is edge splintering, or if the cutting feels rough as the piece passes through the saw. Feel and looks of the result will tell you most about the correct speed. There is no set formula. I believe it depends a lot on the wood being cut and if it is a groove or dado.
Attachments
Side view of jig used to space louvers.jpg
Side view of jig used to space louvers.jpg (124.47 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
webzter
Silver Member

Post by webzter »

Thanks for all of your help. I have had the dado set for some time and wasn't able to get a proper insert to fit my stand alone table saw so I never used it. Now I have my Mark V, I am looking forward to trying out the stacked dado set and will keep all of the comments in mind and experiment and see what works for me.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Web;
I prefer the stacked dado blades because you can fine tune them easier than the adjustable type.Make sure you shims available from Vermont American and others to do the fine tuning. You want to use shims that are non-compressible. SS also sells the shimsets.
Another problem with the stacked variety is that when they are sharpened some sharpening shops do not cut the blades to the exact same diameter and this will leave a grooved bottom which will diminish the glue holding ability.
If you are using plywood you might want to try a router with a dao bit that is undersized, if you are going to MDF or some other composite use a straight 3/4 inch router bit for really good results.
If you use a dado blade for MDF and tune the dado perfectly be sure to put your project together right away. I machined a real good fit one day and could not get things together the next day when the humidity changed. Oh well, that's Florida for ya!!!!!