Wannigan/Cooler Build

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Wannigan/Cooler Build

Post by algale »

8/16 at 6:45 AM. Elapsed time is now 88 hours. Inside thermometer is at 33 degrees. Overnight low was 68 degrees.
IMG_5A14913A27F7-1.jpeg
IMG_5A14913A27F7-1.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 18468 times
Looking at the accelerating melt, I can only conclude that by taking a beer out of the cooler last night I must have set off some kind of exothermic reaction. :D :rolleyes:

It is supposed to hit 90 today so I will be curious to see if any ice survives to the end of day 4, which will be at 2:45 PM. I won't be home, however, at 2:45 PM. So, I will check back in around 7 PM.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

8/16 at 6:45 PM. Elapsed time 100 hours! And there is still ice! I assumed I would come home to all water but there is still ice, and not just chips. Mostly submerged though it may be, there is still a block of ice in there. Thermometer (also partially submerged) reading 29 degrees. Outside high temp was 89 degrees. I consider this test a total success even under sub-optimal starting conditions and am drinking a victory brew as I write this.
IMG_C1E355ADD3A7-1.jpeg
IMG_C1E355ADD3A7-1.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 18438 times
IMG_A03FDCD1465B-1.jpeg
IMG_A03FDCD1465B-1.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 18438 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

8/17 6:45 AM. Time elapsed 112 hours. The last of the ice gave up the ghost overnight (low temp 76 degrees). The water, however, is still just below freezing and will keep these beers/sodas comfortably chilled a while longer.
IMG_8C62F74DB7CF-1.jpeg
IMG_8C62F74DB7CF-1.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 18419 times

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think yer thermometer needs tweaking. :D

About 3.5° should correct it. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:I think yer thermometer needs tweaking. :D

I had the same thought at first, and it's probably about right. But then I realized that I was assuming pure water. Remember how zero on the Fahrenheit scale was established?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:

I had the same thought at first, and it's probably about right. But then I realized that I was assuming pure water. Remember how zero on the Fahrenheit scale was established?
Something do do with salt I assume?(I do not recall ever knowing that)

So we need to use frozen brine for cubes? :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thermometer seemed accurate perched on the ice...

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:

Something do do with salt I assume?(I do not recall ever knowing that)

So we need to use frozen brine for cubes? :cool:
The coldest temperature that Fahrenheit could create in his lab back then was achieved by mixing a salt with ice water. He chose the resulting temperature as "zero" on his temperature scale.

That's why you mix salt to the ice when making ice cream the old-fashioned way.

Impurities affect both the freezing point and the boiling point of water, as does air pressure. I once needed to verify the calibration of a new thermocouple-measurement circuit that I had designed. I used the boiling and freezing points of water for that purpose, because the equipment cost was close to zero. But I was careful to use distilled water, and to correct for the current atmospheric pressure.

I also learned that thermocouple wire conducts significant heat away from it's own bead. To measure the boiling point accurately, I had to form a steam shroud along the first foot or so of thermocouple wire, after it exited the flask. Without the steam shroud, the temperature measurement was about a degree too low.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Science is wonderful! I,for one appreciate the thesaurus of memory, but the most important thing is--- The beer stayed cold for more than 100 hours!!!

Great build, Al - super construction! all the way from box joints. congratulations!

Ever think of putting a packet of dry ice in the wannigan rather than water ice? That's how I got meat shipped from midwest in a foam container. Just a small packet of dry ice inside a plastic sandwich bag. Of course the steaks were frozen and stayed that way. Don't know if it would freeze beer or soda.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks, Charlese! I will probably go with blocks of regular ice next go round, possibly in milk jugs.