Storing support legs and connector tubes

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

Storing support legs and connector tubes

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

I made a little 2x4 thingy to mount on the wall and hold the support legs and connector tubes:

[ATTACH]1857[/ATTACH]

I cut a piece of 2x4 19" long, which puts the stud attachment points 1.5" in from each end. I put some small broom clips 2.5" apart starting 1" in from the end to hold the connector tubes, and a single ladder hook between the two sections of clips to hold the support legs. The two 48" connector rods are currently in use on the Shopsmith, so their clips are empty.

The broom clips were too slippery to hold the metal connector tubes as they came, so I added some pieces of electrical tape to act as grips:

[ATTACH]1858[/ATTACH]

In retrospect, I probably should have mounted it a bit lower on the wall as it takes some effort to snap the connector tubes into the clips while reaching up so high. (I mounted it high to try to get it out of the way of swinging stock around, etc.) I'm sure the clips will expand a bit and this will become easier, but it's something I hadn't thought of.

- Chris
Attachments
IMG_2422_small.jpg
IMG_2422_small.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
IMG_2424_small.jpg
IMG_2424_small.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Chris;
I have been using the same clips for a few years now. Try mounting the clips so the tubes will be horizontal and they won't slide out. I used to hang my 510 tables to the wall with the same clips and the tables did NOT fall off the wall. I did this by securing piece of 3/8 plywood to the wall making sure that the plywood was secured to the studs so it would not flex. This system worked for several years until I upgraded to the 520 fence and rails
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Ooh, I'd love to find a way to mount my 520 auxiliary tables on the wall! Any ideas there? :)

- Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Chris;
Yes I do. I mounted my 520 tables using large hooks similar to cup hooks but larger, Space the hooks so that they go between the rails and the tables and they will hook onto the spacers that are behind the rails. Go to the SSUG.ORG website and go into the gallery section and look for pic of "Bill Van's shopsmith Wall". It almsot looks like the tables are floating on the wall. You can also use large "L" hooks sold at most ACE Hardware stores and also hang the 520 fence on the wall.
Bill V
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

chrispitude wrote:Ooh, I'd love to find a way to mount my 520 auxiliary tables on the wall! Any ideas there? :)

- Chris
Just a click away

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I liked the shopsmith solution for hanging my tables and legs so well I bought a second set for extra tables. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I made mine. Need to rethink it now that I have the Crafter's Station Tables too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I like my Shopsmith brackets quite well, after I got over the purchase price. Didn't have enough wall space for table mounting so did this - -
[ATTACH]1864[/ATTACH]
Attachments
both doors now taken.jpg
both doors now taken.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 8032 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
qtndas01
Gold Member

Post by qtndas01 »

Years ago they had plans to make a unit from wood that would hold the saw table, the extension tables, the tubes, and the legs for the 510. I think it was in a Hands On issue. I made mine from pressure treated wood and is hanging on a wall. I will try to take a picture and post it but I have't done that yet.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:I liked the shopsmith solution for hanging my tables and legs so well I bought a second set for extra tables. Jim
Hi Jim,
You are knot able to hang the main table without disassembling it are you? I think that wood get tiring.:confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.