National Woodworking Month - How are you going to celebrate?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

National Woodworking Month - How are you going to celebrate?

Post by reible »

Yes even us woodworkers get our own month. All April long. So again how are you going to celebrate?

Make some new projects? Take a class? Go to a demo? Treat yourself to a brand new shinny tool? Finally finish that project? Repair that Shopsmith? Get a new hobby that doesn't have a month?

Perhaps you are way to busy to participate? Anyway you have a while to decide and get it done if you are going to.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: National Woodworking Month - How are you going to celebrate?

Post by jsburger »

Probably start playing with my brand new Shaper Origin. :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I think I'll make sawdust. I'll make some for Dusty too, since he can't.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I think I'll clean up sawdust. It has been accumulating all winter from my woodworking projects and it is that time of year to think about putting the Shopsmith away for the summer.
But, I need to clean up first.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I have a brand new 3hp cyclone in the shop and a bunch of spiral pipe and fittings. Once the last box of fittings shows up sometime next week, I'm finally going to install real dust collection in my shop vs three shop vacs and a broom.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Gene Howe wrote:I think I'll make sawdust. I'll make some for Dusty too, since he can't.
+1
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I didn't know that this was coming. :)
I think I will use it as a challenge to do some actual woodworking... :o :)
I figure that tomorrow I can jump in and find my tablesaw and the top of my workbench. Flat spots are always at risk in my shops. :o
That should allow me to do woodworking (sawdust manufacturing :D ).
I have things "sort of" getting in shape and I have been measuring saved sets of shelves and drawer units etc. getting ready to "splice" them into functional units on wheels. I'll take pictures.
I also want to make a few wood duck boxes very soon. I would like to mount one of them on a post on a tiny island in the pond at the back of the farm but I do not currently own a boat. Maybe I need to build a raft. :)
I have all of the cabinets and several doors to build (and a half zillion other things) for the rehab house and shop building in the next county. I expect to be making one kind of sawdust or the other all year this year.
This weekend our son (mid 40's) and I are doing some "things" on one of my timber-frame barns with a few problems. As with everything, half of the job is sorting out all of the misc. crap (yes, including a few Shopsmiths) in the way. Its a fair sized barn, 36' x 64' if I'm remembering right.
Then the farm shop gets some attention, a section of wall and a 12' wide door.
There is always something... :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Catch up on some reading,, picked up a couple books from the book store a while back, the wood workers Bible and a book on small projects and kids toys, still waiting on my quill .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

robinson46176 wrote: I figure that tomorrow I can jump in and find my tablesaw and the top of my workbench. Flat spots are always at risk in my shops. :o
Flat spots are at risk in my shop too, and that includes the floor. :eek: :o At times I have had to climb over stuff to get to the paths, on the plus side, the wife NEVER goes in there. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I do have some projects I would like to get done now that I am getting my Garage/Shop back from having my Daughter's family home belongings stored in it. They include both Shopsmith restorations and sawdust making.

I have that flat spot-fill it up problem also. With that in mind I would like to share the following -

Shopsmith Tip – Work Bench vs. Table Top

Sometimes it seems easier to use a convenient space for bench work than the proper space. Using the table of your Mark V as a work bench can have unintended consequences. Hammering or similar actions on a project on the Mark V table top can cause the teeth of the Carriage Pinion gears to break off. Missing teeth on the gears will cause a “slip” when raising and lowering the table height and you will be unable to lock the table height in that space. Just as you would use the proper safety items (saw guards, push blocks, etc.) when using your Shopsmith for a project, use the proper work space to complete your project. I hope you have enjoyed this Shopsmith tip. These tips are the Authors opinions and are not endorsed by RLF Brands, LLC.

I have a number of these Shopsmith tips that I include in my ads when I sell a restored Shopsmith or Shopsmith Accessories.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.