5/8" Arbor problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

5/8" Arbor problem

Post by dgreen810 »

This is regarding trying to use a 5/8" SS arbor that I have had for years, don't have a clue how many. I installed a Woodworker blade and ran into a problem. The arbor appears to go on the spindle too far as it allows the blade to come in contact with blade guard. None of my other arbors 6 or so have this problem. I can correct the problem by extending the quill about 3/16". I can also put a couple of 5/8" washers on the spindle to space the arbor out, but this seems to not be the way it should work. The 5/8 "bore of the arbor to the shoulder inside is 1 7/32" the same as the other ones. It would appear the arbor's overall length may be short.

Does anyone have a SS part # 555321 they can measure the inside bore depth and overall length. I am assuming this is a 555321 and not a 555608, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Don G
Attachments
IMGP0029.JPG
IMGP0029.JPG (560.56 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: 5/8" Arbor problem

Post by algale »

What model Shopsmith are you using?

A #55321 arbor is for a MK V 500.

You need a longer arbor (#555608) for a 510 or 520.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All arbors should slip fully onto the quill shaft and bear against the knurled collar.

The difference between the 500 and newer arbors is that they are longer. Thus the newer arbors(505-510-520-7)would space the blade further from the knurled collar.

Extending quill is a work around.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Thanks!
Apparently this is a 500 arbor. I didn't know they were different but it makes sense since I have had it for probably 30 years or more. I have always used the 5/8" arbors for the molding blades but ran across this one and thought I would try it to keep from changing blades so much.
Also, I am using a 510.

Don G
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The following may help you in identifying Arbors. Here is a PDF with most of the Shopsmith Arbors labeled and followed by a PDF with the descriptions. This is the same as the one I posted before.
Shopsmith Arbor Picture.pdf
Still Incomplete
(195.67 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
Shopsmith Arbors.pdf
(109.31 KiB) Downloaded 1472 times
Sorry I have not updated the picture of the Arbors yet to include the missing ones. Hopefully I can get that done soon.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

Yikes! The description and photo showing the addition of spacer washers against the quill flange are about the most scary-dangerous situation I have seen in a while... The 5/8 inch quill shaft with the reverse-tapered flat holding a saw blade brings enough drama on its own -- and the washers compromise it even more. Please be safe out there!

Ely
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

EliWalton wrote:Yikes! The description and photo showing the addition of spacer washers against the quill flange are about the most scary-dangerous situation I have seen in a while... The 5/8 inch quill shaft with the reverse-tapered flat holding a saw blade brings enough drama on its own -- and the washers compromise it even more. Please be safe out there!

Ely
Know sure why you find this so scarey? With Shopsmith blade guards in place , along with the main table and insert and of course the upper blade guard there is no chance of the blade escaping. So why does the addition of a washer so scare you?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
EliWalton wrote:Yikes! The description and photo showing the addition of spacer washers against the quill flange are about the most scary-dangerous situation I have seen in a while... The 5/8 inch quill shaft with the reverse-tapered flat holding a saw blade brings enough drama on its own -- and the washers compromise it even more. Please be safe out there!

Ely
Know sure why you find this so scarey? With Shopsmith blade guards in place , along with the main table and insert and of course the upper blade guard there is no chance of the blade escaping. So why does the addition of a washer so scare you?
I surmise it is an extension of his lack of faith in the truncated tapered shaft. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:

Ely
I guess that you assume the headstock, with blade and arbor attached, will NEVER be turned on without the table and guards in place.

NOT A SAFE ASSUMPTION

and this has nothing to do with my lack of faith in the reverse taper.

I agree with Eli. YIKES!

My advice - Get the appropriate arbor. Safety should never be compromised for expedience.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If the blade is 'turned on' without the table and guards attached, the arbor with/without washers is the least of thy problems.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝