Calling for Submissions - Everett

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Re: Calling for Submissions - Everett

Post by WileyCoyote »

Everett,

I just emailed the manual to your Gmail account.

Wiley
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

chapmanruss wrote:Wiley and Everett,

Wiley's copy of
Shopsmith Owners Manual, EM-9100-MS-7-54, Copyright 1954
may very well be the second version of the Manual and shows that the non clutch Drive Sleeve did not last long.

Wiley is your manual an original or photo copy?

When Brenda (thunderbirdbat) gets into the headstock of her new find it may give us a look at it, if her's is early enough. It does not have a Vent/Serial Number Plate but is an "A" Headstock with 8 screws to hold on the belt cover. See
Laying in my truck bed... Under Maintenance and Repair
I got the headstock disassembled today. Check out the picture of Gilmer drive. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 6-s10.html It looks like the drawing in Russ' manual.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett,
Mark 5 Manual version 3 is on it's way.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett,
I finally had time to checkout the restored manuals. They look great. Although I didn't look through them completely I did notice the back cover of Wiley's 2nd edition manual is missing. I believe it should be the same as the back cover of the 1st and 3rd edition covers on mine except the Cat. No. The 4th and 5th editions have the same back cover also.

I have what I believe to be the 4th, the 5th or 6th and 6th or 7th editions of the Manuals. Beyond that I have a Yuba (3-59) and 2 Shopsmith Inc. Manuals (1-73 & 6-76). I will copy them as I can and send them to you. I am not sure how far you want to go into the Shopsmith Inc. era.

Here is a list of the Manuals I know about (I have the ones with a *) The space between the lines is for other possible editions.

Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1954 Cat. No. EM-9100-M5-3:54 Magna Eng.*
Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1954 Cat. No. EM-9100-M5-7-54 Magna Eng.
Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1954 Cat. No. EM-9100-M5-4/55 Magna Eng.*
Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1955 Cat. No. EM-9100-10:55 Magna PTC*

Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1955 Cat. No. EM-9100-A-10:56 Magna PTC*
Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1957 Cat. No. EM-9100-B 4:57 Magna PTC*

Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1957 Cat. No. EM-9100-C 3/59 Yuba*

Mark 5 Manual Copyright 1957 Bulletin No. 504286 1/73 Shopsmith Inc.*

Mark 5 Manual no Copyright date Bulletin No. 504286 6/76 Shopsmith Inc.*

Sorry I had MS instead of M5 in the cat. no. of the first three listed, my bad. :( I also got a little mix up in the order on two numbers.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Russ,

You are right on the money. I will send the back cover to Everett. Thanks for letting me know I skipped the final page.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Russ and Wiley, thank you. I had wondered about the back page chart on It not being on Wiley’ #2 and was waiting on getting access to #3 to see if it was there before asking.

I have another cache of early documents coming my way thanks to Russ clueing me into an eBay auction for an internal newsletter from Magna known as “The Magpie”

I was fortunate to win the bid and should have them next week. They cover 1953-1957 and talk about the people in the company in a personal way as well as product information.

They may help answer questions we have been asking in some manner.

I won’t know much more til I receive and begin to study them.

I am excited that slowly we are beginning to document the Mark 5 and Mark V history.

As always keep sending information you have scanned on obscure bits and pieces to ShopsmithHistorian@gmail.com

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

everettdavis wrote:Russ and Wiley, thank you. I had wondered about the back page chart on It not being on Wiley’ #2 and was waiting on getting access to #3 to see if it was there before asking.

I have another cache of early documents coming my way thanks to Russ clueing me into an eBay auction for an internal newsletter from Magna known as “The Magpie”

I was fortunate to win the bid and should have them next week. They cover 1953-1957 and talk about the people in the company in a personal way as well as product information.

They may help answer questions we have been asking in some manner.

I won’t know much more til I receive and begin to study them.

I am excited that slowly we are beginning to document the Mark 5 and Mark V history.

As always keep sending information you have scanned on obscure bits and pieces to ShopsmithHistorian@gmail.com

Everett
Great Job United States Postal Service

It would have been nice to have at least read it....

Now that it is a lost shipment, someone may well just toss it in the trash when it shows up with their shippment.

USPS Tracking

It's on the way. Shipped Mon, Jul 16 - In transit Original Projected Delivery July 20

Tracking details
USPS tracking #9549010593848XXXXXXXXX

Jul 20, 2018 00:00am In Transit to Next Facility
Jul 19, 2018 00:00am In Transit to Next Facility
Jul 18, 2018 00:00am In Transit to Next Facility
Jul 17, 2018 15:24pm Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Jul 17, 2018 14:32pm Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Jul 17, 2018 00:00am In Transit to Next Facility
Jul 16, 2018 15:19pm Departed Post Office ALAMO, CA 94507
Jul 16, 2018 13:15pm USPS in possession of item ALAMO, CA 94507
Jul 16, 2018 13:26pm PDT Tracking number provided

Yep, on July 17th from 14:32 to 15:24 Los Angeles had it then sent it somewhere on the planet, but not here. Never showed up again in their system.

USPS now shows an adjusted delivery date of Monday July 23, with no entries at all for 2 days. It's now the 25th.

Seller filed a lost shippment report. She is a cousin of the wife of the Magna employee who saved them back in the day. It had been in her closet for the last 30 years following her cousin's passing.

USPS in 52 minutes in Los Angeles found a way to lose it, perhaps forever.

Not a happy camper with postal service center.

Seller could not have been nicer.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I remain very disappointed in the apparent loss of the Magna Newsletters in the early 1950's.

The eBay seller made some snapshots of pages they posted with the original advertisements that thankfully I captured off eBay at the time I was bidding.

I am working through bits and pieces of the portions they posted in the ad to find something that I can post about it, without actually having it, even though I now own it wherever it is.

One such piece came in the photo attached extracted from segment in the ad.
Mark 5 April 1954 Introduction to the Public in NY.png
Mark 5 April 1954 Introduction to the Public in NY.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 9872 times
Notations were that Popular Science devoted 5 pages to the Mark 5 in their April 1954 Issue, March 20th Business Week stated Mark 5 was safer, simpler, and handier than other tools, and other notations.

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It is a sad loss as this is the only time I have seen anything on an employee news letter and we may never see it again. Our only possible hope may be a past employee or family member of one sees this and makes their copies available. Otherwise we have to rely on the US Postal Service :eek:
Russ

Mark V 520
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We seem to readily blame the postal service without knowing what really happened to that package.

Many factors come into play that are all unknowns. Example: Did the package get properly addressed? Was there a return address as well?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.