Need advice medicare

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Need advice medicare

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Be aware that even if you only have Tricare now, when you get Medicare the VA may bill it for your treatment. From what I was told here, each visit is billed to your insurance or Medicare but not Tricare to recover some of the cost of your treatment. I was told that I could submit claims to Tricare for any co-pay or cost I was billed but they would not do it. I even see insurance statements for claims submitted for my service connected disability exams. I am not sure if that is a local practice but it is something to be aware of.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

GoNavy wrote:
dusty wrote:BE CAREFUL. Nothing these days is automatic. I am unsure of your statement that Tricare for Life is automatic just because you have Medicare Part B. I think you have to "qualify and sign up" for Tricare for Life.

I also believe that Tricare for Life will be seen as "secondary payer" to Medicare (Medicare being primary ie first payer).

My experience may be different than yours because you are eligible for VA.

BE CAREFUL! What you are getting ready to do will have long term ramifications.
Got it from the Tricare website, very first paragraph,my Medicare A and B start Dec 1 according to my SSDI website also automatic. Been reading up on all this, because I agree need to make sure I don't screw the pooch on this ...I believe may be wrong, but if I do every thing at the VA I don't believe either one of them will be involved (Tricare or Medicare) only if I go some where that is not the VA, so in that sense I refer to them as secondary...

Link Here

Here is another thing. Look at the back of your retired ID card where it says MEDICAL. There is an expiration date. That is the date you turn 65. You have to get a new ID card. When you do the effective date will be the first day of the month you turn 65 and the expiration date will be Indefinite. When you get your new ID card you will be enrolled in Tricare For Life at that time. You also have to show proof of Medicare Part B since that is required for TFL. So in that sense TFL enrollment is automatic.

So you get Medicare at 62 then when you turn 65 go and get your new retired ID card and that process will enroll you in TFL.

We are going today to get my wife's new ID card because she turns 65 next month. That process will automatically take here off of Tricare Prime and put her on TFL and the monthly deduction from my military retirement check for Tricare Prime will stop.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

No one has pointed out that Tricare for Life eligibility is dependent on your being enrolled and current in DEERS which I would assume you are but make sure. At this point in time - take nothing for granted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:No one has pointed out that Tricare for Life eligibility is dependent on your being enrolled and current in DEERS which I would assume you are but make sure. At this point in time - take nothing for granted.
Since he is retired and getting a retirement check he has to be in DEERS. The problem comes sometimes to those that only served 4 or so years and got out. Anyhow, when you get your new ID card they can see DEERS and can tell you. When they update your Medicare status your Tricare status will update in Deers to TFL. It is effective on the first day of the month that you turn 65. We just got home from getting my wife's new ID card and that is what happened.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
highpockets1658
Silver Member

Post by highpockets1658 »

I would suggest going to the base hospital or wherever the Tricare people are located and get their input. The more info you have the the better decision you can make. Or if you're like me just more confused.