the rental

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

the rental

Post by Hobbyman2 »

A while back we bought rental , next door so in one way it is nice , very little travel time lol, on the other hand its like it is staring at us when ever we walk out the door lol

The place was in pretty bad shape , we wanted to tear it down and increase our yard , after doing the math it didnt make sense to tear it down just yet , we decided to repair it and rent it for a few years and let it pay for its self and then tear it down.

So after the kids gutted the old dry wall and the foundation was rebuilt under the kitchen , new floor joist installed and raised the foundation walls nearly 3 inches to level the floors, the contractor put on the new roof we are getting close to starting the rebuild on the interior .
Went to the saw mill and picked up 3 6x6 rough cut hickory boards and with help we worked them down with the new wen electric plane .

Got to say the plane worked great . we are widening the kitchen doorway from 36" to nearly 8ft and these beams are going to be used as a header and the new door framing , they will be exposed and finished , these things are heavy . we are planing on pegging them together with mortise / tenon and dowels like a barn frame . so far it seems as hickory is the wood theme for the house ,the down stairs trim will be made on the ss and out of hickory, the double bearing quill is going to get a real work out, hopefully we should be done some time in the spring , maybe by then I will be able to post a few pictures again. I cant brag on my daughter and my wife enough , they have been tearing out old drywall , drywalling painting up stairs , you would never know they were not professionals .

We have found walls with three layers of old drywall ,leaks in places where water should not be , the old studs go from the foundation to the roof and are 2ft on center . the old stairs have to go so we have oak from the mill for the stairs and it has been curing out in the garage attic for well over a year .

We are building a entertainment center out of hickory up stairs and it is looking very good ,I love the look of hickory ,we have the oak cut for the up stairs railing , the new oak balusters are ready to go , the windows and closet doors are trimmed in ash , the wood work / trim /has been made on the SS and is some what period correct .

The house was built in the early 1900's , as we were doing the demolition my daughter was commenting on the way things were done , I explained to her she was dong more then just getting dirty, what she was doing was in a way like reading a book , the story the house had to tell about the people who did the work .

LOL I dont think she was impressed lol
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: the rental

Post by beeg »

Two foot on center isn't a problem. But I'd install fire stops in the walls.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Yes and so far there hasn't been but a few fire blocks , mainly around electrical switch boxes , I plan on either adding them every 4ft with the top one at the second floor level ,r just adding extra studs

At this point we are glad at some point in time the plaster and lath was removed. lol
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Most of the old Balloon construction houses do not have adequate fire stops. This allows a fire to spread quickly from the lower floors to the attic and engulf the house in a shorter time. These open pathways act like a chimney. Put in fire stops between all floors and the attic to reduce the speed of fire spread. It also may be required by code in your area for major remodels. I am a retired firefighter and believe me it will make a difference in a fire.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks,, thats great advice , we are in the process of doing exactly that , not so much for the code part but for peace of mind , it is less then 10 ft from our garage ,second I dont like house fires one reason we want to eventually tear it down.

while tearing out the ceiling down stairs we found nob and tube wiring ,, the wires were about a inch long with bad insulation on them going to the ceiling fans and out door porch lights , and as usual no work box. I am glad we decided to tear out the old ceilings and druwall.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

During a stint as an insurance adjuster in and around Ed's stomping grounds, I was asked by the underwriters to inspect a very old two story brick home. Gorgeous place with copper roofing. When I got to the attic, I found knob and wiring...no tubing, just bare wires running about 6" apart strung across the roof joists. It went to, what looked like, card board tubes before heading down to the rest of the house.
My recommendation was to pass on that risk.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Gene Howe wrote:During a stint as an insurance adjuster in and around Ed's stomping grounds, I was asked by the underwriters to inspect a very old two story brick home. Gorgeous place with copper roofing. When I got to the attic, I found knob and wiring...no tubing, just bare wires running about 6" apart strung across the roof joists. It went to, what looked like, card board tubes before heading down to the rest of the house.
My recommendation was to pass on that risk.
I don't disagree but it had lasted for how long? 75-100 years? Air is a good insulator. Look at all the overhead power lines today.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The old ceramic posts were more safe IMO than current 'NM' jacketed wiring. It is the cushioning pads between the wires(and mounting nail) and the ceramic that can be troublesome. I doubt those 'tubes' were cardboard(fish paper perhaps?).

To criticize older methods simply because they were different from today's practice is not necessarily relevant nor deserved.

Bare(?) conductors presents a greater risk to occupants than to the building
(especially the 'hot' one!). :eek:

P.S. I wonder if those 'bare' wires were bare when installed or whether the cambric/rubber insulation simply deteriorated over time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Not to get to deep in the weeds but, a consideration that carries much weight in evaluating risk for insurance purposes, is the companies' exposure to loss due to personal injury or death to a non insured and, subsequent litigation. In this instance that exposure was deemed unacceptable.

As an aside, it seemed evident to me, due to the lack of insulation debris, that the bare wiring was original.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:Not to get to deep in the weeds but, a consideration that carries much weight in evaluating risk for insurance purposes, is the companies' exposure to loss due to personal injury or death to a non insured and, subsequent litigation. In this instance that exposure was deemed unacceptable.

As an aside, it seemed evident to me, due to the lack of insulation debris, that the bare wiring was original.
Interesting. Perhaps that wiring was older than anything I have seen. I have seen different 'versions' of knob and tube.

One other thing is the nails that secure the knobs can work loose over decades.

I would say that exposure was 'extreme'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange