Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by rpd »

These are the pictures that OP has posted in the SSUsers2 Yahoo group.
IMG_20180921_125700613.jpg
IMG_20180921_125700613.jpg (134.78 KiB) Viewed 12788 times
IMG_20180921_125719274.jpg
IMG_20180921_125719274.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 12788 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think we need to 'see' the hinge and pin location as well.

A lot just doesn't look normal in those pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Loosen part #2 thumb screw.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Loosen part #2 thumb screw.
Third post in this thread said that.

What is unusual is the scarring by the screw on the casting. It appears the 'dimple' is mislocated????

I am still suspicious of the hinge pin and notch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sconi
Silver Member

Post by sconi »

I have determined it's the casting, where the way tubes go into the hinge, it's hitting on the casting, no way to adjust it or make any changes short of grinding off some metal that I can see. It does it both ways with or without the lift. It looks like it's something I'll just have to live with.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

sconi wrote:I have determined it's the casting, where the way tubes go into the hinge, it's hitting on the casting, no way to adjust it or make any changes short of grinding off some metal that I can see. It does it both ways with or without the lift. It looks like it's something I'll just have to live with.
This is without a doubt a problem which a call to shopsmith can fix. Seeing as how it is defect they will replace it for free.

I'd still like to see a picture of the area involved.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sconi wrote:I have determined it's the casting, where the way tubes go into the hinge, it's hitting on the casting, no way to adjust it or make any changes short of grinding off some metal that I can see. It does it both ways with or without the lift. It looks like it's something I'll just have to live with.
I agree with Ed. I would like to see pictures. You seem to have gotten two end castings, which are identical, and they are both defective. That is a bit unusual.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Are the tubes seated all the way in on both ends?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Are the tubes seated all the way in on both ends?
Are they seated further into the castings than they should be.

I'm curious. What is the length of the exposed Way Tubes. Mine are almost exactly 48" (casting to casting). This would tell you whether the tubes are properly inserted or not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would like to see a pix of that!!!

I have to think this is an assembly problem.

Errors can be either the way tubes etc., or the bench tubes etc. or both.

Some pesky detail is creating this.

P.S. Both 'halves' of the dual tilt base were replaced? i.e. you do not have a mix of old / new parts?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝