Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by dusty »

Disconnect the lift assist. I know it has been said that the problem existed before the double tilt and before the lift assist.

Dismantle and reassemble from the wheels up.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK Guys(etc.). The third pix clearly shows the base casting fully rotated and with nothing inserted into the spt mount holes. So all this confusion regarding the effect of extension table etc. is moot.

Again WE need a side view of it partially raised to drill press mode showing all that might provide a clue.(pix one shows it in that position).

We need to be discussing the original pix taken by Sconi. We drasticly need #4!

Not established(yet) is whether it raises to vertical correctly in the other direction.

Neither have we established the bench tubes are truly horizontal.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

We agree the headstock and carriage needs to come off, and the bench needs reassembly from scratch.

I have attached the Double Tilt Instructions for everyone to review. I would use that a a guide to reassemble the bench assembly from scratch, taking note of each step.

Since you have modified the table already as instructed, that is not in play but should be reviewed to make sure it was done.

Everett
DOUBLE-TILT BASE UPGRADE 556210.pdf
(314.05 KiB) Downloaded 1715 times
Dusty and others commented in a 2012 post you may find useful for reference
http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 28#p120428
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The relationship that needs to be verified is that of the way tubes to the bench tubes when the Mark is horizontal and when it is vertical. The Way tubes should be parallel to the Bench tubes when horizontal and the Way Tubes should be perpendicular to the Bench tubes when vertical.

Whether the bench tubes are horizontal or not does not effect that relationship.

After looking at OP pix#3 for awhile, study OP pix#1. That relationship is not evident. This causes me to believe it has not been raised to "vertical"; it has been raised to a point where it meets interference.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:The relationship that needs to be verified is that of the way tubes to the bench tubes when the Mark is horizontal and when it is vertical. The Way tubes should be parallel to the Bench tubes when horizontal and the Way Tubes should be perpendicular to the Bench tubes when vertical.

Whether the bench tubes are horizontal or not does not effect that relationship.

After looking at OP pix#3 for awhile, study OP pix#1. That relationship is not evident. This causes me to believe it has not been raised to "vertical"; it has been raised to a point where it meets interference.
However, JPG is right. I have been assuming that the OP's Mark is sitting level. If it is not, the Bench tubes may appear as they do in OP pix#1 (not vertical).
Pix#1.jpg
Pix#1.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 14442 times
We have not seen both the Way tubes and the Bench tubes together in thee same shot so that we see that relationship.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
dusty wrote:The relationship that needs to be verified is that of the way tubes to the bench tubes when the Mark is horizontal and when it is vertical. The Way tubes should be parallel to the Bench tubes when horizontal and the Way Tubes should be perpendicular to the Bench tubes when vertical.

However, JPG is right. I have been assuming that the OP's Mark is sitting level. If it is not, the Bench tubes may appear as they do in OP pix#1 (not vertical).

Pix#1.jpg

We have not seen both the Way tubes and the Bench tubes together in thee same shot so that we see that relationship.
Yes indeedy we NEED pix #4(full operator side view).!!!!

It is pix#3 that confounds me.(hinge fully open, but that does not coincide with the problem indicated in pix#1 and pix#2).????

It is the level in pix#2 that makes me question whether the bench tubes are horizontal.

I do hope all three pix are of identical positioning.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sconi wrote:I have determined it's the casting, where the way tubes go into the hinge, it's hitting on the casting, no way to adjust it or make any changes short of grinding off some metal that I can see. It does it both ways with or without the lift. It looks like it's something I'll just have to live with.
There is nothing in the pictures that you have posted that indicate metal that needs to be removed.

If this is what you are considering removing - I very strongly recommend that YOU DO NOT do so.
reibles casting.jpg
reibles casting.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 14395 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This thread has been entertaining. I keep going back to it to see what else might have developed. However, because of the lack of current, constructive feedback from the OP, I expect this to become a case file in "Unsolved Mysteries".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I agree Dusty unless the OP will post some full side views of his setup we cant tell much more. We can only speculate.
Correct Bench Tubes inserted Properly.png
Correct Bench Tubes inserted Properly.png (80.53 KiB) Viewed 14334 times
I would like to see photos of the bench tubes inserted into the mounts personally as well as the Step 5 where you center the way tubes in the Pivot Arms.

It says to Center the Way Tubes in the Pivot Arms. You probably noticed that you will be able to slide the Way Tubes Left-to-right about 3/8”. Follow the steps below to center the Way Tubes:

• Slide each way tube completely into one Pivot Arm.
• Draw a pencil line where the way tube and the casting meet.
• Securely lock the setscrews in the top of both Pivot Arms against the Way tubes. Use the long arm of the 5/32” Shopsmith Allen Wrench to tighten these setscrews. Tighten these setscrews ONLY one-quarter revolution past the point where the setscrew touches the Way Tube.

I don't think this was done at this point.

Ed did a remarkable write up on the double tilt in a 2017 post that may help him figure out what is off.

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopi ... 47#p239547

At this timewe have all weighed in and I don't know what else we can assist him with.

Everett
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

The good thing is he is actively conversing with everyone. He just posted yesterday evening, but I agree that the lack of pictures stinks. On the plus side, thank you all for helping out. Those of us with much less experience are actively reading these posts and picking up on how you guys think and what you are looking at with his problem. You are giving us all an education and it is much appreciated.