Woodworking, with Sanford and Son

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Woodworking, with Sanford and Son

Post by nuhobby »

Hello,

We recently had to bite the bullet on a new (big) TV. I held back on buying a stand, figuring I could make one eventually.

Exactly one week later, as I trolled the neighborhood trash, I found a 49"x29" piece of 3/4" plywood, complete with flawless black-laminate top, and a "cable access" large grommet to boot.

After some figuring, I cut the board into two pieces of 5-sided shapes, with minimal scrap. Then I used some of my old walnut planks to build support legs (8) and edge trimming.

And here we go!
Attachments
Stand assembled in basement.jpg
Stand assembled in basement.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
Stand with TV.jpg
Stand with TV.jpg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nice work, Chris. A really nice piece of furniture and a good job. This sort of performance warrants a reward; you should go order something that you have been wanting but didn't get.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I agree, that's definately worth another SPT for your Shopsmith. When I bought my large widescreen, it cost me another $334 for the stand.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Nice Job!!

And it's in line with today's mantra of Reuse, Recycle to boot!

John
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Chris,

Nice! That free material came in handy. Do me a favor and send your TV to me so I can "test" it too!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Chris,

Great looking TV Stand! I'm working on one right now (well, not NOW, I'm at the computer actually:D ). But the material for mine wasn't provided by a nice neighbor so I'll end up spending quite a bit.:(

I noticed the Shopsmith and Dust Collector in the picture. You have your shop set up in the basement and have CARPET on the floor????????:eek: Wow, how do you keep it so clean? My dust collector is good but I'd never get the floor clean with carpet on it. LOL.

Great jobs in both material acquisition and craftsmanship!
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Great Job Chris! You are truly one of my heroes!!!

Now you have one of the very best entries into Nick's future contest of building something out of scrap.

Congrats!!!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the ingenuity or the end result!

- Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for the kind words, folks . ..

Yes, the basement was carpeted already when we got the house. So I do a LOT of vacuuming. But the DC3300 is fully up to the task.

Incidentally, the neighborhood-association bills are > $500 per year. So I lurk trash-piles all the time to get some payback !!!

Now thinking about what's the next SS accessory to buy...
Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Woodworking, with Sanford and Son

Post by nuhobby »

A sequel!

About 13+ years later, we've changed TV's a couple of times; one of them due to a lightning strike :(

Anyway, lately my wife clearly wanted the TV to be at a higher level. I managed to hang on to my labor, and add a Riser to the scrap-made TV stand. The riser is built from some scrap planks, and painted black. All is good!
TV_Riser_System.jpg
TV_Riser_System.jpg (142.24 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

Happy woodworking,

Chris