Sawduast session

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gk777
Gold Member

Sawduast session

Post by gk777 »

On the last sawdust session, Nick showed a miter guage with a board attached. I did not see how this was attached. Did you just use wood screws? This was the section on your dividers for the drawers.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

I would guess it's the following:
2 x no. 126335 carriage bolt, 1/2-20 x 1-1/2
2 x no. 503782 knob.

These are what come with the hardwood miter gage extension kit. They also are included with new Mark V's for the project of making your own extension.

Enjoy,
Chris
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

You may enjoy drilling and countersinking the bolts for the extension fence but I just install an extension using two wood screws and 2 flat washers to the miter gauge. Making sure the screws don't extend through the extension fence of course. Quick and dirty.
Regards,
Dwight
albie
Gold Member

Miter gauge extension

Post by albie »

Take a look in your PTWFE book. It shows several simple miter extensions...
Or just click here:
http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/tblsaw_basiccuts/index.htm#crosscutting

Al B
Al B
Shopsmith Greenie (my late Dad's); My 520, 6" Belt Sander, Bandsaw, Jointer, pro planer, scroll saw, Jig saw, strip sander, router table, OPR, dust collector, power station, & power stands
gk777
Gold Member

Post by gk777 »

Thanks I know about the carriage bolt design, Problem is only have 2 knurled knobs I have to remove and reinsert for my different jig all the time. I did not notice that design on the sawdust session. That is why I asked. Always looking for faster way to do things.

Dwight, I can figure out the lenght but what size wood screw to you use, #12?
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

I use a #8. Yes there is room to move the extension left or right because it is not a "snug" fit to the miter gauge slots. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. When using a jig to make box joints, for example, being able to "drift" the jig to the left or right slightly to get the proper fit is a must.
Regards,
Dwight
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I used #8 drywall screws for exactly the reason that drl cited.

With all good wishes,