Question about Biscuit Jointer (555320) & 10ER.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

csxeng
Gold Member

Question about Biscuit Jointer (555320) & 10ER.

Post by csxeng »

Hi guys,
Will the Biscuit Jointer (555320) work with the 10ER?
Attachments
Biscuit Jointer
Biscuit Jointer
Biscuit Jointer.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 17191 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Question about Biscuit Jointer (555320) & 10ER.

Post by jsburger »

csxeng wrote:Hi guys,
Will the Biscuit Jointer (555320) work with the 10ER?
Yes.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Great! Thanks John! So it should attach the same way.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

csxeng wrote:Great! Thanks John! So it should attach the same way.
Yes. I have not actually tried it but the quills are the same diameter so it should not be a problem. Give me until tomorrow and I will verify it to be sure. I think there is a small difference in the extension of the quill body from the stop collar between the 10ER and MK V so it may affect the cutter attachment. Stay tuned.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John said the Quill and the Spindle have the same Diameter from the first Shopsmith Model 10E to a brand new Shopsmith Mark 7. That being said there is a difference in the length of the shoulder of the collar or retaining ring to the end of the spindle. The 10ER has 1-3/4" from the shoulder of the collar to the spindle end whereas the Mark V/7 has 2-3/8" from the retaining ring of the quill to the end of the spindle. The Biscuit Joiner was designed to attach to the Mark V/7 and needs the 2-3/8" distance. The Biscuit Joiner can be used on a Model 10 if the collar is removed which allows the spindle enough room to go all the way into the Joiner's Arbor and than lock the Biscuit Joiner to the Quill. Extra care must be taken to make sure the Joiner housing is straight when clamping it to the Quill with the Collar set screw milled ring to keep the cutter aligned to it. I tried the Biscuit Joiner on a 10ER Quill that is not in a Headstock so I did not actually run it. I only checked for fit. An early Quill without the milled indent for the collar set screws is easier to align. I used the Quill Assemblies from S/N 1077 and 69236.
Quill 102-22 l.jpg
Quill 102-22 l.jpg (333 KiB) Viewed 16993 times
Quill 102 310 l.jpg
Quill 102 310 l.jpg (344.37 KiB) Viewed 16993 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:As John said the Quill and the Spindle have the same Diameter from the first Shopsmith Model 10E to a brand new Shopsmith Mark 7. That being said there is a difference in the length of the shoulder of the collar or retaining ring to the end of the spindle. The 10ER has 1-3/4" from the shoulder of the collar to the spindle end whereas the Mark V/7 has 2-3/8" from the retaining ring of the quill to the end of the spindle. The Biscuit Joiner was designed to attach to the Mark V/7 and needs the 2-3/8" distance. The Biscuit Joiner can be used on a Model 10 if the collar is removed which allows the spindle enough room to go all the way into the Joiner's Arbor and than lock the Biscuit Joiner to the Quill. Extra care must be taken to make sure the Joiner housing is straight when clamping it to the Quill with the Collar set screw milled ring to keep the cutter aligned to it. I tried the Biscuit Joiner on a 10ER Quill that is not in a Headstock so I did not actually run it. I only checked for fit. An early Quill without the milled indent for the collar set screws is easier to align. I used the Quill Assemblies from S/N 1077 and 69236.
$matches[2]Quill 102 310 l.jpg
Sorry to the OP, I got side tracked and forgot to check. Of course you are correct. I checked the same thing for the speed reducer on the 10ER and found the same thing. It is not a big deal to remove the stop collar from the 10ER.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT