Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:18 pm See the manufacture recommendations on maintenance and lubricants ? In the pattern shop years ago we use to use graphite on the Big band saw bearings and the drill press , it did not collect saw dust and seemed to out last oil .
I believe you are replying to a SPAMer. If you look he is a first time poster to a 2008 thread ( typical SPAMer method ) and one of our great moderators deleted the included link in the post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:37 pm
Hobbyman2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:18 pm See the manufacture recommendations on maintenance and lubricants ? In the pattern shop years ago we use to use graphite on the Big band saw bearings and the drill press , it did not collect saw dust and seemed to out last oil .
I believe you are replying to a SPAMer. If you look he is a first time poster to a 2008 thread ( typical SPAMer method ) and one of our great moderators deleted the included link in the post.
----------------------------------

Could be . it cold be a good topic to re-visit , I haven't noticed many people using graphite as a lubricant lately , If , I recall it comes in a small squeeze tube or a spray , it could help those who may wish to take advantage of something other than oil or grease in their band saw bearings .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Mix the powdered graphite with alcohol then use a small paint brush to apply a thin coat. Capillary action will help get the graphite into crevices. The alcohol evaporates leaving just the graphite. Used to use this when working on submarine steam systems.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm Mix the powdered graphite with alcohol then use a small paint brush to apply a thin coat. Capillary action will help get the graphite into crevices. The alcohol evaporates leaving just the graphite. Used to use this when working on submarine steam systems.

Great tip, Brenda! I use graphite powder quite a bit, but generally apply it dry. Then I try to flush it into the shaft bores, etc. with WD-40 or similar, which makes an even bigger mess. Your technique should be much easier & cleaner.
Last edited by beeg on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:58 pm
thunderbirdbat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm Mix the powdered graphite with alcohol then use a small paint brush to apply a thin coat. Capillary action will help get the graphite into crevices. The alcohol evaporates leaving just the graphite. Used to use this when working on submarine steam systems.

Great tip, Brenda! I use graphite powder quite a bit, but generally apply it dry. Then I try to flush it into the shaft bores, etc. with WD-40 or similar, which makes an even bigger mess. Your technique should be much easier & cleaner.
I agree as well. I love using graphite for lubrication and will have to try this technique for getting it into hard to lubricate spots. Thanks Brenda!
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Why would a moderator bother to edit out a link(or whatever) rather than simply not allowing the post to pass???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 am
Why would a moderator bother to edit out a link(or whatever) rather than simply not allowing the post to pass???
What forum policy was violated other than posting that particular link?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 am Why would a moderator bother to edit out a link(or whatever) rather than simply not allowing the post to pass???
My guess is that some SPAM-like posts are innocuous, so the MODERATORS chose to remove the link but leave the post text behind just in case the post isn't SPAM after all. Less offensive to a potential new forum member to remove a link than to delete the entire post. I believe some SPAM posts are obvious and should be deleted, but there are some that are not quite so obvious. Not sure if this is the reason or not, but in any event, I want to thank all of the MODERATORS for their tireless efforts against the forces of SPAM here...
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 am
I guess you would have to ask the moderator. The post was somewhat on topic but apparently the link had a problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I like Brenda's suggestion on applying powdered graphite. I have used the spray type which uses a liquid carrier that evaporates but Brenda's suggestion may be better without over spray getting on parts where it is not wanted. Any aerosol product has the potential for over spray. A small, long handled hobby paint brush could be just right for reaching the worm gear on the Speed Control Assembly through the access hole on "B" and "C" Headstocks.

As for someone bringing back a nearly 14-year-old thread and posting a link, I too find that suspicious. Amita, if you are joining for legitimate reasons then welcome.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.