Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kevinkkm1
Bronze Member

Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Post by kevinkkm1 »

Hi I just got a shopsmith and I am restoring it, I have taken it apart and cleaned all of all the gunk and rust off.
I am just wondering what lubricant I should use before I assenble it again. I will be doing lots of sanding on the lathe and would like to know a libricant that dosn't attract fine sawdust. So far I think that wax is the answer but what kind should i use, how long should it last, and will it lubricate well enough? (I will also be turning large uneven blocls of wood, If that affects the libricant needed)

Just got a shopsmith 10E ! :)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Hi and welcome!:

I like to use furniture paste wax on the table and Top-Kote on the speed changer and the way tubes for my Shopsmith. Hope this helps.

BPR
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

kevinkkm1

Welcome to the forum. I suggest going to the link I am attaching to this post that gives about a 30 min presentation on lubrication & maintenance of the SS. The 2d link shows how to remove, lubricate & replace the quill. The 3rd video shows restoring an old machine. I personally use Johnson's paste wax on my way tubes and other surfaces on my machine and I do a lot of turning and sanding and it is easy to clean the sawdust, and sanding dust off without any problems. As for the oiling, I use the oil that comes with the SS help kit on the sheaves and and top coat lightly on the gears for the speed changer. Be especially careful not to get the Top Coat on the belts, using a rag to help protect them from the spray. There is also a DVD put out by Rick Davis on Maintenance & Alignment which is excellent and I highly recommend this. Hope this helps.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt2.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... gnment.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... elpkit.htm
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

This is the little oiler that Nick uses in the Sawdust Session lube video to lube the sheaves. I got one from ShopSmith about 2 months ago, but I didn’t see it in the latest catalog. Customer service should be able to tell you if they still have it.
http://www.zoomspoutoiler.com/

Use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax for the way tubes and tabletops. You can also get it at Lowes or Home Depot.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item

You can use any spray silicone inside the headstock for the speed dial and threaded rods.
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

I have has a number of personal bouts with spray silicone........ worked at auto dealership for over forty years.... The place also had a body shop.. sometimes a paint job would just go south...... bubbles , fisheyes, etc. in paint...... we did use some spray silicone in main shop. we finally figured out what the cause was and never, never, used that stuff again in shop..armour all for tires , and dash if the worst culprit i have ever seen....... so, the moral of the story if you have silicone in your shop - give it away, recycle it. anything to get it out of the building............ thanks
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

oldc6 wrote:I have has a number of personal bouts with spray silicone........ worked at auto dealership for over forty years.... The place also had a body shop.. sometimes a paint job would just go south...... bubbles , fisheyes, etc. in paint...... we did use some spray silicone in main shop. we finally figured out what the cause was and never, never, used that stuff again in shop..armour all for tires , and dash if the worst culprit i have ever seen....... so, the moral of the story if you have silicone in your shop - give it away, recycle it. anything to get it out of the building............ thanks
Amen! Oldc6 I have been singing that song for years. Silicon around anything that is going to be finished later may cause problems that most can't even imagine. I will not allow silicone in my shop. If I must use something like silicon chaulk I make sure nothing used to do the job comes back into my shop. I stopped using armour all and such when I found the outgassing from it really made a mess of the windshield and later found out how much of it you breath. Thanks but no thanks to silicon!!!!!!!!
Ed
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I was just following Nick's advice in Sawdust Session #11 (Cleaning and Lubricating the Mark V), where he used silicone on the quadrant arm and headstock lock threaded rod. I used it, seemed to work fine.
To each his own I guess.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Imagekevinkkm1,
Ron309753 wrote:I was just following Nick's advice in Sawdust Session #11 (Cleaning and Lubricating the Mark V), where he used silicone on the quadrant arm and headstock lock threaded rod. I used it, seemed to work fine.
To each his own I guess.
Ron is right: To each, his own! Not only will silicone create havoc with finishes, but so will wax and oil. That said, I use wax (Johnson's Paste) on all surfaces, the pocket oiler that SS sells, for the shafts, and bees wax on the speed control quadrant.
ron309753 wrote:...the little oiler that Nick uses in the Sawdust Session lube video to lube the sheaves. I got one from ShopSmith about 2 months ago, but I didn’t see it in the latest catalog...
pg 84 of the Fathers Day 2008 Sale cat. part number 517429 $3.74.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Amita
Bronze Member

Re: Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Post by Amita »

Hi,

With so many options in the marketplace, it can be tricky to sift through all the choices and find the right one for you. The best way to do that is always going to be trying out each lubricant and seeing if it works for you and your specific needs. But our guide should have at least provided a few helpful pointers towards finding the right lubricant without much hassle—hopefully helping each reader find what they need.
Last edited by beeg on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove URL.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

See the manufacture recommendations on maintenance and lubricants ? In the pattern shop years ago we use to use graphite on the Big band saw bearings and the drill press , it did not collect saw dust and seemed to out last oil .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)