Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Wax,oil,grease, what lubricant?

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 am Why would a moderator bother to edit out a link(or whatever) rather than simply not allowing the post to pass???
It's called "the benefit of the doubt" Also it wasn't in "general woodworking", where 97.7256489% post. Where you never see them, because their off topic posts try to begin there. Some of you think any link from a new poster, is SPAM. That's part of the reason why I remove the link. Besides there's no rules as to what/what not to do. RANT OVER.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

No need to rant Bob. :) The OP stated "But our guide should have at least provided a few helpful pointers towards finding the right lubricant." I assume the link you deleted was to "OUR GUIDE". Just a SPAMERs semi-clever way to get his link on the search engines at our expense. No real value to the forum or the topic of the thread..
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This forum was (at one time long ago) all about Shopsmith and Woodworking. That criteria seems to no longer apply...as a result I now spend a very small amount of my time reading the posts or posting. This is SAD (at least for me).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:37 am This forum was (at one time long ago) all about Shopsmith and Woodworking. That criteria seems to no longer apply...as a result I now spend a very small amount of my time reading the posts or posting. This is SAD (at least for me).
Seriously???? IF you were a photography buff and were on a Nikon forum, do you not think that members wouldn't discuss the competition, e.g. the latest Canon camera to compare and contrast? Would they not talk about how to take better pictures or how to compose certain types of shots? Similarly if you are a Camaro fanatic, do you not think the Camaro forum wouldn't talk about the latest Mustang or EV conversions, etc., etc.? Can they discuss general maintenance and machinist topics? Honestly, this forum would be quite dull if it ONLY discussed Shopsmith equipment and nothing else. It would be quite myopic in my opinion. How else are new woodworkers going to learn new woodworking techniques, alignments, etc. if we didn't have this section titled "Beginning Woodworking" of this forum? I am not saying that we don't get off topic from time to time, but EVERY forum does. Eventually it corrects. JMO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

jsburger wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 pm No need to rant Bob. :) The OP stated "But our guide should have at least provided a few helpful pointers towards finding the right lubricant." I assume the link you deleted was to "OUR GUIDE". Just a SPAMERs semi-clever way to get his link on the search engines at our expense. No real value to the forum or the topic of the thread..
NO! The link was about subject, not sure if the OP had an interest in it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

As hard as the others try to compare the SS to and with other tools , SS still seems to prevail , at least in my mind . if for no other reason they are so versatile . I have a old Skillshop that is out dated by many years , it is not as tall even though I do use it as my go to table saw it is not near as versatile. If I had to get rid of one it wouldnt be the SS .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I still prefer Johnsons paste wax in the yellow can with the red stripe on it. I was running out and was concerned about the future availability of it because Johnson was going to remove it from the market place. I scored a can at my local Ace hardware store and now I have a lifetime supply. But I will be 82 years old this month!!!! :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Bill V