new to wood working, have some basic questions.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chads93gt
Silver Member

Post by chads93gt »

thanks. That link will come in handy.

I checked my jointers blades last night. when i lowered the table like you said, i barely had the knife on the inside edges touching. but when i put it on the inside it would push up the straight edge quite a bit, so the blades arent level, adn with those chips out of the inside of the blades I think ill opt for some new ones.

My jointer is made by "Jet Equipment and Tools" Jointer Model # JJ-S, made in Taiwan...................go figure
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

chads93gt wrote:thanks. That link will come in handy.

I checked my jointers blades last night. when i lowered the table like you said, i barely had the knife on the inside edges touching. but when i put it on the inside it would push up the straight edge quite a bit, so the blades arent level, adn with those chips out of the inside of the blades I think ill opt for some new ones.

My jointer is made by "Jet Equipment and Tools" Jointer Model # JJ-S, made in Taiwan...................go figure
Actually, as that's a Jet jointer, that's not a bad thing. It should be relatively easy for you to get a manual direct from Jet, vice trying to hunt one down. It should also be easy to get a new set of knives. I'd suggest taking one out, measuring it's thickness, length, and width. I got a pair of sets of knives on eBay, brand new on a "Buy It Now" option. I can't remember the price, but it was a lot less than an individual set from, say, Grizzly. And, they're quality knives, not junkers.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
chads93gt
Silver Member

Post by chads93gt »

either way it sounds like my jointer needs new blades and a jointer pal first before I start any projects with it. I made a piece of trim for all the hardwood laminate i put in my house last week that was 1.5" wide, 3/16 on one side and 3/8 on the other, basically the floors were uneven with a 3/16 lip so i ripped a piece of oak with the table saw for the lip and planed it down and routed the edges and it came out nice. I waxed the planer table last night and i didnt have a single hangup, that delta works pretty good I think. thanks for the tips
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Anytime. Glad to be of help.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!