Guitars, please

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Guitars, please

Post by nuhobby »

hello,

I've seen guitar-building mentioned by drew and by hobbyist. Can you share more, with photos perhaps? And is this the same guitar from the Sawdust Sessions?

thanks,
Chris
drewa
Gold Member

YaHoo! Guitars!

Post by drewa »

In this image you can see the through-body neck. I have used three ply of maple. This will help keep the neck straight. Although this is not necessary. I just made a decision to do it this way.

Here, we are looking at the pot (potentiometer) plate, made of the curly white oak I used on the "wings" of the body.

This is just the body with birds-eye maple as the center stripe.

I just love the idea of being able to go a little tangential in a project. Adding touches here and there. I am really looking forward to the headstock treatment. I have got a moon design in my head. Abalone, ebony, and pewter wire inlay. I will post photos of that later...

I was speaking with a violin/fiddle maker this weekend at a heritage festival this weekend. He shared some real good ideas on building small fiddles. He was talking to this young boy about "how easy it is" and how you can "use any wood, even 2X4's." It just goes to show that the old adage of you take a bunch of wood and remove anything that does look like a _________.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
drewa
Gold Member

More Guitars!!!

Post by drewa »

This is looking down the neck at the truss rod groove routed in the center of the neck.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks Drew,

Looking great! Can't wait to see that maple after finishing.

Also, what's the story on your acoustic? Is the dreadnought you made 15 years ago the same one heard on the Sessions?
Chris
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Very nice, Drew!:cool:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
hobbyist
Gold Member

Post by hobbyist »

I built the StewMac OOO from their kit. It was a great project. I'm about to get started building one from scratch now. I have lots of construction photos in this web album...

http://picasaweb.google.com/hobbyist17/ ... cOOOGuitar

Here's some finished photos and a few construction photos...

You guys will recognize this machine!

Shopsmith pin router setup for routing fretboard inlay... 1/32" diameter end mill and pin.

Ray
hobbyist
Gold Member

Post by hobbyist »

Some more photos... Nearly all of my small clamps!

Williams-style Guitar binding jig that I built myself.

Lots of tape! Gluing-up solid wood binding...

Ray
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

Chris,

Having had that guitar though my college years it is now a little beat up. It is now my camping and back yard guitar. Plus when we were down in Kitty Hawk flying one of the Wright gliders, I dropped it on a tiled basement floor....argh! So it is in need of repair. :( That guitar on the sessions is a Martin DCE-16. An amazing guitar.

Ray,

Dig the jig! It looks great, but how does it sound? You really should build one from scratch. It is "easier" than it seems. Just a lot more sculting of wood! I have been talking with Nick about doing a Sawdust Session on building a guitar, or just some of the more curious procedures, i.e. bending the sides, etc.

My next guitar will be an arch-top. Sweet, eh?

Be good,

Drew

rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Ray

Just want to compliment you on your craftsmanship. You should be proud of that work piece for sometime. Also, your jig you made for the router is quite impressive. Some folks have no idea how much work goes into crafting an item such as what you have done. Also thanks for posting all the pictures as you built this guitar. Again, great job!!!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Ray,

That's super! I had been looking forward to an update ever since your older posting on the pin-routing method. Congratulations!
Chris