Left Overs

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

spies4
Bronze Member

Left Overs

Post by spies4 »

I've Recently Upgraded My Shopsmith To The 520 Model. I'd Like To Know What Everyone Does With The Boxes Of Left Over Parts From The 500 ! What Do You Do ,e-bay Them ?
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

spies4 wrote:I've Recently Upgraded My Shopsmith To The 520 Model. I'd Like To Know What Everyone Does With The Boxes Of Left Over Parts From The 500 ! What Do You Do ,e-bay Them ?
That's what I did Spies. It was a few years ago now and I don't remember what I got for them. But it was way more than I estimated.

(Sadly the person who bought the parts, later asked me if they would fit an older model, 10ER maybe.)

Good luck,
Hal
chiroindixon
Gold Member

You could try this...

Post by chiroindixon »

Keep up with the posts... I started the Infeed/Outfeed Table as solution of what to do with those 500 parts. Got to the end and trigger the link that another friend posted.

Doc

Or sell'em on eBay to someone who will use them like this....
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I stuck mine in a corner. They have provided many hours of entertainment as I envisioned all the clever ways I could use them. I upgraded 4 or 5 years ago and they are still in the corner and I'm still dreaming up ideas.
jlevin01
Silver Member

Post by jlevin01 »

I went from a 510 to a 520. Stuck everthing in a corner. Then upgraded to a Jointech Sawtrain. Put 520 stuff in corner. In the mean time jointech made an upgrade that uses 520 and its cheaper.

A friend gave up on his 510 and went to do just turning with a great lathe. So I got his 510 for free. :) :D I used the 520 parts to upgrade that one. I gave up on the 510 stuff and put into recycling. I just couldn't figure out what to do with it.:mad:
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Sold mine on eBay as I did when I upgraded 510 to 520 and every other upgrade I have done. I am amazed how much some Shopsmith stuff goes for on eBay. I have seen Drill Chucks go for more then Shopsmith sells them for new when they run a sale and you pay shipping.

I have only purchased one Shopsmith item on eBay and it was a custom toolholder not made by Shopsmith. Working Shopsmith stuff is usually too expensive but if you are selling that is a good thing.

For Heavy stuff you can also try Craigslist, I sold a five year old used but working dust collector for what I paid for it and had three offers the first day.
robbie8317
Bronze Member

Left over 500 parts

Post by robbie8317 »

I also upgraded a while back and offered them free (you pay shipping) on a Yahoo Shopsmith group. I've still got them. Would have been around $25 to ship the old table to someone that said they were interested from Michigan. I live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.

Also have some parts left over from a bandsaw upgrade and an unopened bandsaw tire kit.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I sold mine and now regret it. I have come up with some really interesting uses for much of it.
I guess if your an inventor hang on to them and see what comes up. If you only follow plans then probably sell them.

I made a really nice router table from a defective 510 main table and I have ideas on how to improve it even more. If I had my old 500 table and carriage I almost certain it would have become an outfeed table by now.

Ed