What to buy?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wbmccarty
Bronze Member

What to buy?

Post by wbmccarty »

I am new to woodworking. My initial ambition is to create some cabinets for my garage/patio. I plan to purchase a Mark 7. What other machines or accessories would the community recommend that I consider? And why would these purchases be of use to me now or later?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience!

Cheers,
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What to buy?

Post by JPG »

What other machines or accessories you might want to get depends upon what you intend to do in the future.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

A couple of things come to mind for your cabinet build.

First of all, I assume that you will be building them from sheet good (plywood, MDF, etc.). A full sheet is very heavy and bulky — not a lot of fun to wrestle across a Shopsmith, or any tablesaw for that matter. You may want to have your supplier break the sheets down into more manageable pieces. Even so, I’d recommend two roller stands, one for infeed, and one for outfeed. I’ve been very pleased with my Rockler flip-top stand, which happens to be on sale right now. I also have one of their regular roller stands. But at the sale price, I’d just get two of the flip-top stands.

https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-fliptop-roller-stand

If you want to break down the sheet goods yourself, a track saw is an excellent investment. Festool has an intensely loyal following, but comes with a premium price tag. I have the Makita, which is an excellent saw at a better price. Other major manufacturers include DeWalt, Triton, and now Kreg.

Do you know what type of joinery you’ll be using? For the face frames, common and relatvely easy joinery methods include pocket screws, biscuits, dowels, and loose tenons. You’ll need jigs and/or tools to use any of these. Shopsmith makes a very nice biscuit-joiner attachment: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... joiner.htm.

For an overview of face-frame joinery options, check out this Rockler article: https://www.rockler.com/joinery-methods-face-frames
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I agree with JPG but it also depends on what you already have. Although not limited to just woodworking, a shopvac, air compressor, miter saw, clamps, drills and drivers, chisels, sanders, etc. are necessities.
Almost everyone on here also has the SS jointer and bandsaw ,extremely good Shopsmith products that show up in good used condition quite often. The SS belt sander is very nice, too.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Garage cabinets are fairly simple. The Shopsmith should do everything you need to build them. I built these cabinets for my garage on my Shopsmith.
garage.jpg
garage.jpg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 33422 times
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

To do cabinets and to really realize the potential of the MK 7 I would buy the belt sander, band saw, jointer and the shaper fence. That being said all of those are available used on CL for significantly less than new. You can build a better shaper fence than you can buy for about $50. Many times you can buy an used 510 SS with all those accessories for less than the price of just the tools new and end up with a second SS. If space allows having a second SS makes things much easier.
Paul
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

something Like this is nice to have around when you work by yourself single roller support stand in fact a couple of Them may be a good idea JMO

https://www.harborfreight.com/132-lbs-c ... gK0XfD_BwE
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

What you need to buy in tools will depend on how you wish to make the cabinets. The Mark 7 is an excellent start and note the items it comes with. As for additional tools they are easy to add on with the Shopsmith as your base tool. Figure out the cabinets you wish to make and how you wish to construct them then find which tools will help you get the project done. Future projects can be planned out in the same way and what tools are needed to complete it which will guide you on future purchases.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wbmccarty
Bronze Member

Post by wbmccarty »

JPG: "What other machines or accessories you might want to get depends upon what you intend to do in the future."

Of course! But, apart from simple cabinetry, I cannot anticipate my goals. So, presumably, suggestions might have value in the construction of simple cabinetry. Future purchases can await future needs.
Last edited by wbmccarty on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wbmccarty
Bronze Member

Post by wbmccarty »

BuckeyeDennis, we're on the same page. Those are EXACTLY several items I have considered because in the past I've struggled to break down 4x8 plywood sheets using a small table saw or circular saw.

Thanks!