What to buy?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What to buy?

Post by JPG »

WileyCoyote wrote:He's same guy who recommended using a picture hosting site for posting pictures to the forum in two different posts.
Yes he is and was noticed all three places.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
MCee232
Bronze Member

Post by MCee232 »

Hey, hey...

Does anybody have a list anywhere of what basic tools an absolute beginner might need? Woodworking is like an entire other dimension for me, but it's been in my bucket list for so long.

Thanks in advance!

Glad to be here...
diazsjonathan8
Bronze Member

Post by diazsjonathan8 »

Hi,
I am share basic woodworking list of tools that is sorted by “urgent”, “semi-urgent”, and “not-urgent” to buy .
1 Build or Purchase a Solid Wooden Workbench
2 Jack Plane
3 Block Plane
4 Panel Saws: Rip and Cross Cut
5 Back Saws
6 Miter Box and Miter Saw
7 Coping Saw
8 Bench Chisel Set
9 Mortise Chisel
10 6-inch Combination Square
11 Try Square
12 Sliding Bevel Square
13 Pair of Dividers (Compass)
14 Build a Marking Gauge
15 Folding Rule and/or Tape Measure
16 Marking Knife
17 Sharpening Supplies
18 Wooden Joiner’s Mallet
19 Rabbet Plane
20 Woodworking Clamps

These are few basic tool for woodworking
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If you're going to be breaking down sheet goods, a track saw is a good investment. But if you want to save some $$, you can build one yourself that uses an ordinary (and much less costly) circular saw: https://www.woodsmith.com/files/issues/ ... guides.pdf. It won't give you the plunge capability or dust collection of a Makita or Festool track saw, but it will do the job.
viewcart
Bronze Member

Post by viewcart »

Do I absolutely need a table saw to start?

No, it's not an absolute need. But neither is salt.

How about a miter saw?

If I had to choose, I'd rather have a table saw. Makes quick work of really long boards.

Or a bench top planer?

I think it's absolutely necessary.

A chisel set, a scraper, smoothing plane and a block plane are standard handtools in powertool shops.

Also a drill press, forstner bits, bradpoint bits, plug cutters, hole saws are really handy.
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

My 2 cents you need a track saw. I also have the Mikita and it works great and I don't have to wrestle sheets of plywood. and you get finished quality cuts
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Jointer. Hand planes are great, but if you get into gluing up solid wood panels you will really appreciate a jointer.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I suggest you only purchase tools when you have a specific need for them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
WoodNibbler
Bronze Member

Post by WoodNibbler »

For cabinetry:

1. Portable circular power saw, a track saw is nice but a board with a straight edge also works;
2. Cordless drill with brad point bits and screw driver bits, doing it by hand gets old almost as fast as your wrists wear out. Hand drivers are good too. Robertson are best.
3. Glue - Several types depending on application. Get a good spreader. A roller for edges and surfaces and something for holes such as dowel and biscuit.
4. Clamps, clamps, clamps. It is possible to have too many but few have succeeded despite years of trying.
5. Cauls for gluing up door panels
6. Flat work surface, height is a matter of discussion. An assembly surface for case work is different from one for machining.
7. Planes are mostly a matter of hand tool religion and making really nice surfaces. I like having a good block plane. I can walk away from the jointer any time ... honest and those bevel ups I've been saving for, lets not even talk about them.
8. Sharpening equipment for as many of your tools as possible. Once you use sharp tools you never go back.
9. Marking instruments - Awl, Knife, Pencil. I use a felt tip pen when setting angles for sharpening.
10. Measuring - Tape, machinist square, combination square, carpenter square, protractor, gauge blocks are nice but costly, some of the Incra gauges are nice as well.
11. Router - Plunge is the most versatile, fixed is good for a table, trim is handy for laminate and drywall. For router bits see above about how many clamps you need, router bits are about the same.
12. Dovetail Jig - Fixed is OK, adjustable is better, Leigh is best. Incra has a system that is not as good as the Leigh at dovetails but does a bunch of other stuff and is hence more flexible, discussion may follow.
13. Chisels - Nothing fancy but keep them sharp. I find I use the smallest the most.
14. Clean up - Shop vacuum, broom, hand brush, dust pan, shovel, garbage can(s).
15. Dust extraction system - cyclone, filters, ducting, blast gates.
16. Safety - Ear muffs and plugs, dust mask, safety goggles and/or shield, gloves, apron, footwear, no jewellery or dangly stuff, short sleeve shirt.

The list above is a lot of stuff most of which you don't need immediately. My main purpose is to give you stuff to consider and research. As others have said a lot depends on what types of cabinets and processes to build them you plan to do. Good luck and have fun.
GeorgeTurner12345
Bronze Member

Post by GeorgeTurner12345 »

in this process, you need to have a lot of things like jigsaw, band saw,scroll saw, etc. its all about wood cutting. there are a lot more other things which you must have.