What to buy?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: What to buy?

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote:If you are talking about what special purpose tool to buy first I would opt for the jointer. Yes the SS jointer is a bit on the small side but for cabinet work it is nice to have the jointer to clean up the table saw cut. I have made a bunch of cabinet doors using the stub tenon and groove construction and I really appreciated having the Jointer. I work in a one car garage and all of my tools have to be on wheels. I mostly do small stuff now, lathe work etc but I still will not get rid of my toys. Someone is going to have to pry them out of my cold dead hands. :D
Bil V
Did you build an extension for the infeed on your jointer? Just curious. I have not done this yet, but for me that is about the only way I could make my Shopsmith Jointer "acceptable". I routinely edge joint 6' long boards and you really can't get acceptable edge jointing on it without some kind of extension of infeed/outfeed tables. Of course, for shorter lengths it does a good job. At times, I have lumber that is warped or cupped and would really like to joint it on the face side, but the Shopsmith jointer width is too small. Yes, I know I could do this on the Planer with a Jointer sled Jig, but I have also heard horror stories of those coming lose with vibration and getting caught up in the Planer. I still dream of the day when I can afford and fit an 8" Jointer in my shop....
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

No extension. I use roller stands for anything longer than about 4 feet. That is OK for me.
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote:No extension. I use roller stands for anything longer than about 4 feet. That is OK for me.
Bill V
Thanks. I have been meaning to get around to building the Jointer extension table from the Nick Engler video, but I guess I should try a roller stand first. I didn't own one until very recently, so now I can give it a shot. Still need a wider jointer for dealing with warping on the face side, but maybe I will get a jointer hand plane and attempt it that way. At least I can fit another hand tool in my shop. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAd-t2VBV0
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Some people have reported that they face half the width of the board leaving a raised portion and then turn the stock end for end and do the other half of the face. If any ridge is left it can be removed by sanding. I have not tried the method but it sounds reasonable.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Some people have reported that they face half the width of the board leaving a raised portion and then turn the stock end for end and do the other half of the face. If any ridge is left it can be removed by sanding. I have not tried the method but it sounds reasonable.
Bill V
I would think the board would have to be fairly flat to begin with. This seems to be effective only as a 'clean up' step.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
WebTraveler13
Bronze Member

Post by WebTraveler13 »

If you are going to get a power planer and jointer - pretty well needed if you want to use cheaper/more varied supplies of rough sawn lumber - you will want a dust collector to deal with the mess, even if you are not yet convinced of the health issues breathing in wood dust. So put a dust collecter on your list of items to research and plan on two 240volt circuits (one for the dust collector and one for running, one at a time, any stationary woodworking machine that you may eventually acquire).

Further on dust collection.... with power handtools, radial orbital sanders, handheld routers, research online how well they do dust collection. For example, do buy a handheld router that has an integrated dust collection takeoff that attaches to a shopvac. Some ROS attach easily to a shopvac hose; others "only with the help of a bit of duct tape? In buying a new or used tablesaw, anticipate eventual overhead dust collection even if you don't buy a tablesaw that has a blade guard with an integrated dust collection takeoff.

Handheld tools: you live in the GTA: on Sunday, April 1st, in Pickering, the Tools of the Trade interest group, have their sale of used/vintage handtools; there you can pick up a full set of classic, high quality bench planes for around $200. Learn to sharpen handtools like biscuit joiners and chisels. Handsaws actually work! Read up on adding shopmade holding devices to your existing bench and keep an eye out for a great but cheap bench vise. Before you clutter up your one car bay space with machines, perhaps set it with wiring, insulation, drywall/panelling, etc.

On the other hand, routers are amazingly versatile motor driven tools, doing many (but by no means all) of the joints, etc. that chisels, handsaws and handplanes have traditionally done. Get a book like Bill Hylton's Woodworking with a Router.... like hand driven tools there is learning curve regarding its applications, making jigs plus the more significant issue of safe tool use.

Jointer and Planer: I hear Dan say straight knife jointers are passe but there are lots of us that are not giving them up (because they do a good job, albeit with more noise) and the straight knive jointers that are being given up by people who are "upgrading" present a buying opportunity for you. While I now have an 8" General jointer and 15" stationary 240v. planer, I was able to do 'big' work with 6" Rockwell/Beaver jointer and 10" Ryobi AP10 planer; both are solidly built like the proverbial outhouse and, along with similar used jointers and planers, come on the used market for about $200 and $100 respectively.

Tablesaw: as Rod said, lots of figuring/options here.....I think your inclination toward a used Rockwell Unisaw is sound.... look at Wally of Calgary's picture rebuild of the saw to see the quality machining; even with the downstream addition of a blade guard that provide dust collection you will have a 'forever' tablesaw for less than a thousand....
but don't rule out the Sawstop; ask yourself, if a used cabinet level Sawstop (v. good machining, dust collection, great fence and its amputation proof technology) popped up for under $2000, would you buy it? and do the research and be prepared to move fast if the answer is yes, 'cause such a machine at that price will not be "unsold" for long. Have a list of used tablesaws .....at widely different price points even, that you would be prepared to buy if they came on the market and, if and when it does, move fast. Do your research.

Acquiring hand tool skills, improving your shop space cost very little while you research and keep an eye out for terrific machine tools buys.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Think this is 'spam'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:Think this is 'spam'?
I think so, :(

The text is cut and pasted from 2012 post on the Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement (Magazine) forum. For the curious GTA refers to the Greater Toronto Area, not Grand Theft Auto (the video game)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Think this is 'spam'?
Yes
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

He's same guy who recommended using a picture hosting site for posting pictures to the forum in two different posts.