headstock

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

buck
Bronze Member

headstock

Post by buck »

my headstock won't move with the speed control conected any sugestions
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: headstock

Post by everettdavis »

The bolt that pulls it toward the headstock should leave a little play and the nut tightened in place allowing that movement.

If you snug it down, it will frequently bind the two.

Obviously they should both be able to slide freely independently with the belts off the variable speed unit. If not, then there may be a dent in the way tubes that needs some attention.

Most likely it is that you have them cinched down with no play between them. If there is play, they should track together without much effort than just sliding the headstock requires.

Everett
buck
Bronze Member

Post by buck »

thanks for the reply, I loosened the bolt it made no difference, I took the belt off it and both units slide fine the belts are new 23 in I have 3 sm and restoring them is quite challenging
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You said
thanks for the reply, I loosened the bolt it made no difference, I took the belt off it and both units slide fine the belts are new 23 in I have 3 sm and restoring them is quite challenging
If I am reading it correctly the belts may be the problem. The original belt lengths for the Speed Changer was 22 1/2" and 25 1/2". Belt are no longer made in half inch increments so 22" and 25" are the commonly used belts. If you have a motor that puts the shaft further away from the Drive Pulley you may need longer belts (23" & 26"). Incase you do not have one below is a PDF copy of a Speed Changer Manual.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.