removing speed control handle

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tripletdad
Bronze Member

removing speed control handle

Post by tripletdad »

My father and I are refurbishing the speed control on a mark v. However, we can not remove the handle. we have used an Allen wrench to remove the set screw but cannot pull off the handle. Is there anything else holding the handle on? Looking at the drawing it looks like the set screw is the only thing holding the handle on, but we are hesitant to brute force it off. Any insight would be appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: removing speed control handle

Post by JPG »

With the set screw REMOVED, the only thing holding it on the shaft may be a burr. Some extra force required. Make sure it is straight out only.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Bryll
Bronze Member

Post by Bryll »

My Speedial is likewise stuck. How do you suggest that I “…pull it straight out?” What do I use? Any advice would be helpful…
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

CAREFULLY pry around the outer edge at multiple locations a smidgen at a time. You may need to simultaneously pry diametrically opposed to prevent cocking.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange