New Owner-Old Machine

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

smle303
Bronze Member

New Owner-Old Machine

Post by smle303 »

Greetings everyone,
Hope everyone is well tonight. I am new to this forum, and as the thread states, New Owner-Old Machine. I just inherited my dad's Magna Shopsmith Model 10E (he is still with us, but will not be able to use it from now on), which belonged to his dad. S/N 2988. I know that all the parts were there at one time, but I seem to be missing the lathe spur(I found the live center) and the chuck for the drill press and maybe the tools for the boring functions. I know the power head works well, I have used it recently- no speed control for it though :( recommendations anybody on replacement parts? How far can I upgrade/modernize it? Thanks in advance :)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: New Owner-Old Machine

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Welcome! That’s a great and useful heirloom you have. All of the spindle-mounted tooling that Shopsmith sells for modern machines will fit your 10E, if you want to buy brand-new stuff. eBay is a ready source for used parts — just about anything that you might need for your machine.

At the very top of this Maintenance and Repair forum, there’s a post entitled “Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More” by Everett Davis. There, you can download restored manuals and most any other documentation that you might need.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... 16113.html

As for upgrading and modernizing, what do you have in mind? You can check out Skip Campbell’s stuff at MKCTools.com for parts and inspirations.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. As Dennis said check out Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More” by Everett Davis. On his google drive you will find a restored copy of the Model 10E manual that would have came with your Model 10E originally. It will be helpful in using the machine and knowing what parts you may need for replacements. The Model 10E followed by the Model 10ER was made from November 1947 through 1953. A lot of changes were made to the Model 10's during this time. 7 headstock versions, 3 carriage versions, 4 tailstock versions, original wood extension table later changed to metal. I could go on and on but you get the idea. Your Shopsmith Model 10E was made in 1948. One thing all Shopsmith multi tools have in common is the 5/8" spindle on the end of the quill.

As far as getting replacement parts check the parts list and diagrams in the manual against what you have to see what you may need. Depending on what you want to do with your Shopsmith this will help you decide what parts you may need to replace.

As far as upgrades go, if it still has the wood extension table I would recommend upgrading to the metal extension table and a fence with a rear lock. This upgrade includes, which may have to be purchased as individual parts and not a kit, a Metal Extension Table with bracket, a Tailstock for the Metal Table bracket with knobs and a fence with front and rear locks. This upgrade makes table sawing much more accurate. I currently have two restored Model 10E's, S/N 1077 and 4708 if you need any pictures for reference of the parts that came originally with yours.

Another nice item to have is a Speed Changer. Unfortunately they are expensive to buy at online auctions. You can try looking at local sales for a Model 10 with a Speed Changer and a metal extension table for those upgrades which may end up cheaper than online auctions. Just a thought.

Although the manual says it has three speeds without a Speed Changer you can actually use seven speeds. See the attached PDF I created below.
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf
(182.91 KiB) Downloaded 1807 times
If you have any more question feel free to ask. You will always find help here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
smle303
Bronze Member

Post by smle303 »

wow-70 years old and still going strong...it does have the upgraded metal fence and table-a speed changer was what I had in mind, but now that I know the combos for the pulleys, it is not a pressing item. Going back to dad's house this weekend to conduct yard/tool sale...will continue to look for the chuck, and the live spur. I do have a bit of cleaning/rust removal and such to do will post pics/video of the process as I progress
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

smle303 wrote:wow-70 years old and still going strong...it does have the upgraded metal fence and table-a speed changer was what I had in mind, but now that I know the combos for the pulleys, it is not a pressing item. Going back to dad's house this weekend to conduct yard/tool sale...will continue to look for the chuck, and the live spur. I do have a bit of cleaning/rust removal and such to do will post pics/video of the process as I progress
If you have an opportunity get the speed changer anyway!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Drill Chuck that originally came with your Shopsmith was the Jacobs 33B with the adapter shown below.
Jacobs 33B Chuck with Adapter 102-47
Jacobs 33B Chuck with Adapter 102-47
102-50 Jacobs Chuck with Adapter Assembly r.jpg (382.56 KiB) Viewed 19137 times
This Drill Chuck assembly was replaced by the Jacobs 3326 Chuck, with a 3/8" set screw, which attached directly to the Shopsmith's spindle without an adapter. Later with the introduction of the Mark 5 the set screw was change to a special 3/8" set screw using a 5/32" Allen Wrench and later to a 5/16" set screw. With the introduction of the Mark 5 all possible set screws were changed to ones using a 5/32" Allen Wrench. Below is the three versions of the 3326 Chuck. Note the set screws.
3326 Chucks.jpg
3326 Chucks.jpg (355.12 KiB) Viewed 19137 times
Of course any Drill Chuck made for the Shopsmith's over the years will fit. This includes the Cushman Chuck, the Jacobs Multi-craft Chucks and the current Shopsmith Chuck.

As for the Tailstock Live Center it was an optional accessory. Your 10E came with the early 60 degree Dead Center shown below. Later the cup dead center replaced it. The same is true for the Live Center, first a 60 degree version and later the cup version.
104-8A Dead Center 60 degree r.jpg
104-8A Dead Center 60 degree r.jpg (322.3 KiB) Viewed 19137 times
As you look through the tools remember that anything that fits the 5/8" spindle of the Shopsmith could be an accessory for it and would be worth a closer look before deciding to sell it.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Here is a PDF of the March 1952 Model 10 accessory catalog which may be helpful.
1952 March Model 10.pdf
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 1848 times
It has most of the accessory items that were available for the Model 10's shown in it. Not included is the Model 4E Jointer or the rare Lower Blade and Lower Belt Guards.
Russ

Mark V 520
smle303
Bronze Member

Post by smle303 »

Mystery solved, all tools and such are in my possession- Drive spur, live center, chuck and chuck key were tucked in with the drill bits...should have looked a little deeper in that metal box...:)
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I am glad you found it all. Having your Grandfather’s 10E is an heirloom that works today.

As stated look at Skip Campbell’s site for inspiration and upgrade options. The variable speed motor negates the need for the speed controller and provides excellent torque for turning at slow speeds.

It’s a family treasure and I am really pleased 3 generations had the opportunity to enjoy it

We are glad to help where we can

Everett