Weekly Blog - September 14th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi! Thank you to all for the nice comments! :) Looks like there are some answers due to Dave and Gary. Good questions guys!

The wood I used was poplar. I have about 25 Bd Ft of 5/4 rough remaining after the plantation shutters. I'm looking for uses. I would have preferred to use red oak, but used what is available. Poplar fuzzes up a little when crosscut and I thought that might give me a problem, but I think it really worked to my advantage as the bottoms of the fingers, somehow appear more flat than they really are. I think some of the side fibers somehow filled the bottoms. One of my test pieces was made in maple. The sides of the fingers in these two 12" pieces ALL fit beautifully! They are crisp and sharp, but when joined, the bottoms show the slanted cut of the wobble dado.

Joinery on the bottom - The bottoms are 1/2" poplar. After gluing up (and curing) all fingers, I just cut the bottom pieces to size, glued the edges and slid them into the box. This way the bottom actually squared up the boxes that were a little like parallelograms. None were real bad, but two were about a 32nd inch off at opposite corners. I then applied a couple of clamps to the sides for an hour or so. Didn't really need them, but did it anyway.

Did I stack the pieces for making the fingers? No! I wasn't that smart or thoughtful. Each piece was cut separately. The wooden bar on my jig is just a bit smaller than 1/4" - just kept each cut flush to the right side of the bar.

Yep, cut the dados a little deeper than 1/4" and sanded off the knobs. If you look closely one of my sanding mistakes shows on the tall side of a box. Used the SS Belt Sander.

The plans called for using white glue and band clamps. (The sides of the rectangular boxes are glued up then the angles are band sawn off, using a fine toothed blade.) I had bought my wife a gallon of Elmer's for her use in her sewing room and figured she had some left. Well, she only has a pint remaining and that is diluted 50/50 with distilled water. So I chose to use Titebond - did the gluing piece by piece. First the fronts (4" , 8 fingered pieces), then after set installed the backs. Using a small applicator put a drop of glue into each side of all fingers before assembling. This took about 2 minutes per corner, (5 minutes max per box end) (no sweat with 10 minute open time) then using calls on the inside of joints, clamped for a couple of hours. Maybe this clamping served somewhat to force the fingers into the otherwise non-flat bottoms. Probably crushed fibers, but there is enough edge joint contact to more than hold the boxes.

There is no finish on these boxes. They are just bare wood. CA glue might be a good choice, especially if there are problems in dry fitting. Seems to me a slow drying glue would be the best choice, and the amount of glue I used was not necessary. Having no experience with these, I just did what comes naturally - punted!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Superb work, Chuck!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

drl wrote:... I then came across the Freud box cutter set. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=16380
Two blade set that will create 1/4" or 3/8" wide cuts with a flat bottom. I have used the set in making a "treasure chest" for my 3 year old grand-daughter. Really satisfied with the results. It also includes instructions on how to make the jig.... Makes a neat looking and strong joint as well.

Regards,
Dwight
Thanks for the tip on the blade, Dwight! I had wondered if this blade was equal to the hype in the Mags. From remembering your very good improvising work, on your friendly old family chair. I am impressed with your decisions and will strongly consider the Freud.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Chuck, I'm impressed with the finger joints. I've been meaning to test my skill with a project using finger joints, but I usually talk myself out of it. Yup the train thing was about 2 miles from my home. I'm just South of the Tampa exit, the train hit between Topanga and DeSoto. Truly glad your son took the day off. One of my wife's friends usually ride the later train, but left work early, we were all worried till we reached her to find she had headed to San Bernadino in the other direction. Back to woodworking. My youngest daughter is having twin boys in January. I have been told that a pair of rocking horses would be appreciated. I was given a beat up well worn sample from a garage sale. So I have my template, just need to find some nicely patterned wood to create the perfect toys. Should keep me busy. Oh, the other children (grownups) want new Christmas decorations for their yards. So the fun begins.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Chuck, thank you for the link. (I knew after seeing the tool box that I was asking the right person!)

The magazine boxes are exactly what I had in mind...in fact, I have some poplar waiting to be turned into boxes as I type.

Now, I need to absorb some of the knowledge (tips) and photos so I don't make too much scrap in the process.:o

Again, thanks, and the boxes are awesome!
(Do any of you have any idea what kind of points making those boxes would generate for me with SWMBO?):D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D