A new owner of a shopsmith

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Re: A new owner of a shopsmith

Post by SkullsquadronX »

I can’t figure out why the picture are turning on there sides on? Is it a difference between the iPhone and iPad?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SkullsquadronX wrote:I can’t figure out why the picture are turning on there sides on? Is it a difference between the iPhone and iPad?
I noticed that I had the same problem with a picture this past weekend. On my computer it was one orientation and when I posted it to the forum it rotated it. Never had this problem before on the forum. I don't know if something changed or what?

Hey, nice cross sliding vise. Where did you get it from? Is it the Northern Tool one?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

SkullsquadronX wrote:I can’t figure out why the picture are turning on there sides on? Is it a difference between the iPhone and iPad?
It is the (free, open source) software that the forum uses. To save possessing time the camera saves all photos as if they were taken in landscape mode and then sets a flag in the meta data as to the actual orientation. Most software then uses that to rotate the photo appropriately. The PHPBB programmers however feel that this is not their responsibility and that it is up to the person posting a photo to rotate it before posting :rolleyes: Of course this is difficult when the other software displays properly. :eek:

The simple solution is to take all photos you are going to post in landscape mode and then they will be displayed properly without any adjustment. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

RFGuy wrote:Hey, nice cross sliding vise. Where did you get it from? Is it the Northern Tool one?
No it’s not, bought it off eBay ECONO SUPER STORE.
rpd wrote:It is the (free, open source) software that the forum uses. To save possessing time the camera saves all photos as if they were taken in landscape mode and then sets a flag in the meta data as to the actual orientation. Most software then uses that to rotate the photo appropriately. The PHPBB programmers however feel that this is not their responsibility and that it is up to the person posting a photo to rotate it before posting :rolleyes: Of course this is difficult when the other software displays properly. :eek:

The simple solution is to take all photos you are going to post in landscape mode and then they will be displayed properly without any adjustment. :)
Thanks, I’ll try that.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It only takes one byte to define orientation of the 'camera' when a pix is taken. WHY hide that byte in 'meta data' which is not relevant to displaying the pix. Yes it would still require the displaying software to 'look' at that byte, but it is more easily located IF it is the first byte in the photo 'stream'.

Full disclosure: I consider 'meta data to be unnecessary extra baggage which can exceed the byte count of the item it 'describes'.

I know a small voice the the wilderness! :D

P. S. This in never a problem IF one passes the pix file through a photo editor(like Irfanview) which always displays correctly(since I assume it looks at that orientation thingie) and saves it in correct orientation for subsequent passing to other stuff.(as a jpeg file). But I digress!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SkullsquadronX wrote:
RFGuy wrote:Hey, nice cross sliding vise. Where did you get it from? Is it the Northern Tool one?
No it’s not, bought it off eBay ECONO SUPER STORE.
Wow...it is almost half the price of the Northern Tool one. Let us know how you like it. I tried buying the Shopsmith drill vise a little while back. I was so unimpressed with the quality of it and the fact that it didn't crank smooth that I sent it back for a refund. I've been putting it off for a while, but need to pick up a drill vise sometime in the not too distant future. I don't need it often, but when you need one, you need it...and it would be really nice to have cross vise capability. Thanks.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Metadata serves an important purpose. It defines the source of the picture which is important to me to determine if a particular photo is real or edited. The original photo will indicate what camera it was original taken on. Since the camera doesn't edit the photo, it can be looked at as authentic. If you edit the photo with software and save an edited version, the metadata will show the photo editing software as the source, so you can no longer trust the authenticity of the photo. If a photo shows a source like Photoshop, it can't be assumed to be authentic anymore.
There are a lot of legal situations where authenticity of a photo is very important. The time and date the photo was taken matters anytime a photo ends up in a legal debate.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:It only takes one byte to define orientation of the 'camera' when a pix is taken. WHY hide that byte in 'meta data' which is not relevant to displaying the pix. Yes it would still require the displaying software to 'look' at that byte, but it is more easily located IF it is the first byte in the photo 'stream'.

Full disclosure: I consider 'meta data to be unnecessary extra baggage which can exceed the byte count of the item it 'describes'.

I know a small voice the the wilderness! :D

P. S. This in never a problem IF one passes the pix file through a photo editor(like Irfanview) which always displays correctly(since I assume it looks at that orientation thingie) and saves it in correct orientation for subsequent passing to other stuff.(as a jpeg file). But I digress!!!!
I may have misspoke as to where the flag is stored, :)

The photo editor I normally use, (Shotwell Photo Manager), doesn't correct the orientation when I export (save) the file, neither have I been successful with a few other programs I tried in the past, and sometimes got weird results, once I finally got one to rotate properly but the width/height pixel info was out of sync so it was distorted.

Recently I was succeeded using GIMP, but it took two or three tries, and efforts in the past had failed. There was an option that had to be selected to get the desired result, but that wasn't the default.

Anyway, the simplest way is still, just take the photo in landscape, then it is only file size that needs fixing. ;)
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

rpd wrote:Anyway, the simplest way is still, just take the photo in landscape, then it is only file size that needs fixing. ;)
This is the Simplest way, but my iPad (tablet) doesn’t have that option.
Attachments
51046C08-4438-4563-BF1E-A4BB585DF52F.jpeg
51046C08-4438-4563-BF1E-A4BB585DF52F.jpeg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

SkullsquadronX wrote:
rpd wrote:Anyway, the simplest way is still, just take the photo in landscape, then it is only file size that needs fixing. ;)
This is the Simplest way, but my iPad (tablet) doesn’t have that option.
Landscape mode means hold it long edge horizontal, Portrait mode is hold the long edge vertical, when taking the photo. :)
Ron Dyck