Bandsaw Overhaul

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Steele510
Gold Member

Re: Bandsaw Overhaul

Post by Steele510 »

P89DC wrote:I rehabbed a older bandsaw that had the old rubber bushing instead of bearings. Got it running real nice with a 1/2" blade. I was going to sell it but it runs so nice and I have room...so now I have two handsaws.

Were you interested in a dust port or viewing port. I added them to both.
Funny you mention that, I think adding the viewing port to easily de-tension the blade when not in use is a great feature. The dust port is next on my list for sure. Do you know if the new front cover will fit the old saws? Undecided if I would add my own or just look for a new cover complete. If you have pics of your modification additions you mentioned?

Also going to add a dust cover for storage, maybe Santa is listening.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Steele510 wrote:
P89DC wrote:I rehabbed a older bandsaw that had the old rubber bushing instead of bearings. Got it running real nice with a 1/2" blade. I was going to sell it but it runs so nice and I have room...so now I have two handsaws.

Were you interested in a dust port or viewing port. I added them to both.
Funny you mention that, I think adding the viewing port to easily de-tension the blade when not in use is a great feature. The dust port is next on my list for sure. Do you know if the new front cover will fit the old saws? Undecided if I would add my own or just look for a new cover complete. If you have pics of your modification additions you mentioned?

Also going to add a dust cover for storage, maybe Santa is listening.
New cover IS a direct replacement.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

Continuing this process, I cleaned up the cast iron table and insert, much better. I have a fence that came with the SS but it doesn't fit any of the tables I have, presumably it was from another accessory I do not have. It is missing a few bits, but I would like to modify it to fit this small bandsaw table for re-saw purposes. Does anyone recognize the fence, and could you help me to find any images of how it mounted originally so that I could consider replicating the mounting arrangement? Look like it may have been riding on rectangular barstock or square tubing? I suppose it is possible it is not a SS fence.
IMG_0228-1008x756.jpg
IMG_0228-1008x756.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 9411 times
IMG_0229-1008x756.jpg
IMG_0229-1008x756.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 9411 times
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

Ok, clearly it is Item A shown below, which explains why I also have Item C in my stash of parts. I don't have an aluminum table though.

If anyone has end view of the extrusion on that aluminum table where the fence mounts I'd be interested to see it.
Annotation 2019-12-12 224857.jpg
Annotation 2019-12-12 224857.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 9405 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The slot across the front of the table is there so you can use the miter gauge with an extension as a fence. The tapered setscrew in the miter bar is used to lock it in place. :)
bstablewfence-2.jpg
bstablewfence-2.jpg (297.72 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It IS a bandsaw fence. The extrusion that mounts to the back edge of the aluminum table is the same as a Mark 5/V 500 front rip fence rail.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Fence item A above and your Fence must be an earlier version. Mine has a flip lock and includes a "rear" lock also. As JPG said it goes on a rail for the "front" end but locks directly to the table edge on the other end. The Fence sits backwards on the Band Saw with the locking end on the out-feed side. Below is a picture from the SS online catalog of what mine looks like.
bandsaw_fence_and_acc2004a.jpg
bandsaw_fence_and_acc2004a.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 9348 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:The Fence item A above and your Fence must be an earlier version. Mine has a flip lock and includes a "rear" lock also. As JPG said it goes on a rail for the "front" end but locks directly to the table edge on the other end. The Fence sits backwards on the Band Saw with the locking end on the out-feed side. Below is a picture from the SS online catalog of what mine looks like.

bandsaw_fence_and_acc2004a.jpg
Yes that be an earlier version of the bandsaw fence.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

Thanks everyone. I do have an extra miter gauge as well, I think I will look to modify and use the aluminum extrusion from the fence with it somehow. Shouldn't be hard to do. I have a wooden extension on the miter gauge now, but I like the idea of having the t-slot in the fence to use for clamping, measuring etc.
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

I modified the extruded fence to mount on the miter gauge, and shortened it to better suit the size of the cast table. When the fence is reversed it works well for cross cut as well. No doubt this will also prove useful on the belt sander and sanding wheels.
IMG_0233-1008x756.jpg
IMG_0233-1008x756.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 9243 times